SOS Calling Mike Alder

TomTom Model(s)
730 go
Hi Mike,
Sorry about the title , I know its a bit cheeky but i didn't know how else to contact you. The reason I'm posting this is because whenever I goggle io play somewhere along the line your name is mentioned.

From what I've read you are quite an expert on the io play, and you might possibly be able to help me.

What I am trying to do is to set up my io play so that I can have tt instructions and phone conversations via the van speakers. I believe you have this set up in your system ?.

The following is the equipment I'm using---- io-play S/W 1.0 H/W 1.0
Radio Grundig car 2002 (non Bluetooth)
Phone Nokia C1-01
Sat Nav TomTom 730 go
Vehicle Vauxhalll Vivaro 54 plate

When I first installed the io-play last week both the phone and the tt cut the radio in and out when instructions where being played or the phone was in use , although both were very quite regardless of volume setting.

After a bit of research I realised I needed a SOT-2S lead due to the speaker set up in the van. Ordered lead,in the meantime phone carried to function as described above, however tt ceased to play instructions via speakers.

Anyway fitted lead on sat morning, this has solved the volume issue with the phone, works great all loud and clear. Unfortunately I cannot get the 730 to play via the van speakers.

The tt settings that i used are as follows----- Under speaker preferences I have four options

play instructions using this speaker (1) Internal Speaker
(2) Bluetooth Hi-Fi Device
(3)Line-out (audio cable)
(4) FM to your car radio
I selected option (2) assuming that the io-play Bluetooth module will act as the hi-fi device.

When I select no.2 above the sat nav starts searching for Bluetooth devices , it picks up the io-Play, I confirm this , it then says enter password , I enter 0000,it then says connecting to Bluetooth device.
After a couple of mins it says unable to connect to io-Play,would you like to try again with a different password I have tried 1234 and 8888,but it will still not connect.

Two or three times the white skip lights have flashed indicating a successful connection to the io-Play, this is after i enter the password and about a minute before it says unable to connect to io-Play.

I've made sure that the phone is turned off when I try to activate the tt.

Voice Recognition.

On p.7 of the quick start guide it tells you how to activate the voice recognition function,but not how to set it up in the first place, I assume it must be similar to setting up a Parrot.

On p.4 of the installation guide it states the red flashing led should be on when ignition is on and off when ignition is off. Mine however is on flashing all the time even without the key in the ignition.Does this indicate a fault in the way I've wired it up ,although it was simply plug and play.

I've checked io-play website Q&A page but with no luck.

Mike your help in any of the above would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards Dominic (once again apologises for contacting you this way).

P.S There is a brown wire marked "MUTE" this was not connected to anything, I have left it as such. Is this correct.?.

P.P.S I think I've double posted this ,sorry

Last edited:
I've let Mike know about your questions...... I've also deleted your duplicate post. Not necessary. :)

I think your issue is down to the phone you are using supporting both HFP and A2DP modes, when the phone connects to the iO-Play it will grab both channels leaving nothing available for the TomTom to connect with. Try the following:

1/ Turn off the bluetooth on your phone.
2/ Press and hold the red & Green buttons on the iO-Play until it beeps (5 sec)
3/ Turn the TomTom on and get it to pair with the iO-Play
4/ Turn your phone on and re-pair that to the iO-Play (it should only grab the HFP channel now as the TomTom will be using the A2DP

The problem is getting the phone to pair with only the HFP service, I have the same issue with my iPhone so I turn the BT off on the phone and let the TomTom connect to the iO-Play should I be using a TomTom in the car, once the TT has connected turning the BT back on completes the job - Mike

Mike,
Thank you so much, instructions coming through loud and clear.Simple when you know what you're doing.:thumb:

Sorry to be a pain but do know how to set up the voice recognition function on the io-play?.

Once again Mike, thanks.

Regards Dominic

You can put the phone to voice recognition mode through the iO-Play by pressing and holding either the volume control or the green button, I can't remember which off the top of my head as I never use voice control when I can touch a device, nothing I have tried ever works with my Northern UK accent when it comes to voice control.

If you are trying to get the TomTom to work for voice control via the iO-Play forget it as that won't work the TomTom will only ever use its built in microphone, the iO-Play should be capable of controlling your phone though - Mike

Ask a Question