SOS - My TT XL IQ Routes keeps rebooting by itself

Hi there, I am a newbie here. I recently bought two TT XL IQ ROUTES. The first one I bought was working fine for three weeks and then one day it simply refused to power up at all - only the green light was on when plugged in. Any Ideas what this may be?
However I bought another one - same model. It again did fine for couple a months when one day it simply decided it has to start relooping - for no reason or at least I think so. Eversince (more then 10 days now) I've been trying to get it going. It is out of warranty so I am not sending it back to TT as it would cost a fortune after I spent already ?180 on satnavs. So please help!!!
I tried full format, both in Fat and Fat32 Each time everything was going fine until the moment to set up the time format. Then it starts rebooting all on itself. I expect someone to tell me to delete Mapsettings.cfg or whatever is called , from my Map folder. The thing is - there is no such file in there!!! Also I noticed that when I try to operate the device via TThome it works fine and gets me up to the map screen but then it says NO MAP FOUND, but well at least it does not reloop. However I also noticed that using TT home to opertae my device changes the bootloader version the linux version and the Ramdisk version of my TT - Is this normal.?
I am so confused! SOS!!!

Are you positive you didn't try to perform a map update right before all of this started - and perhaps even had problems completing the update? It has all the classic symptoms...

As for the map itself - no I haven't tried to update it. There was however some kind of update which TThome suggested. It was TT application for my device version 9.xxx can't remember the exact numbers now. The previous version was 8415 I think. However this was done without any problems I operated it quite a long time with this application. No other updates were made by myslelf. After all that started however I tried to run the device both on the 8415 version and there is when I go to the constant loop. And each time when I download the newest version then TT freezes on the splash screen which is even worse then the rebooting itself. May be I just have to mention that when I did the first (and looks like the only one) successful update of that TT application I made a full back up of the device according to TT website. That is where I am sourcing my map for trying to get that thing going again. With no success so far.

Oh and also I've messed about with things like voices, mapshare service etc. But they all worked fine. This thingy just started "with no prior notice" as some people love to say.

Was the backup made using Explorer or Home? We always suggest using Explorer for backups/restores as Home can be problematic.

If the backup was made using Explorer, then just reformat the unit, don't use quickformat. Then restore the backup, again using Explorer.

If the backup was not made using Explorer, then make the Explorer backup now. Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Then connect the unit to Home and install the application that will be offered. See if that helps.

Hm, as far as I remember I did it via TT Home to be honest.,I'll give it a go. However this was months ago and up until 2 weeks ago there were no problems at all. But then yes - I never had to use the back up files up untill now. Ok guys - I'll try it this way. Just wonder what good it would do to make that back up via Explorer since I will be backing up already corrupted files as those are the files from TT home back up at the end of the day? I'll give it a go anyway and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for trying to help lads!!!

Here is the update - I achieved nothing. I backed the device up, deleted all loose files and connected to TTHome. I was offered TT aplication 8415 again . I let the TT finish its job and here it is now - the device stuck on the splash screen. Wouldn't even perform the reset by TT home. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Yes mate I did. Fat 32 with quick format not ticked. No difference. Just noticed onw very strange thing. As soon as I formated I copy/paste the backud this one was with TT application (isn't there a shorter name for that?) 8415. Before in my numerous attempts to get the TT going I was usualy offered a newer verion. Now I was only offered the same 8415 Version. After that - nothing. Ofcourse it never managed to reboot using TT Home. But I wasn't offered the newer version even after reboot as a stand alone.

However I am thinking of something. As TT is in fact something like a very small and not very clever laptop it needs a program to make the maps and everything load and work. As the maps are only user oriented applications. Is that the TT application that I am offere each time after format. This must be something like W.I.N.D.O.W.S isn't it? But the even the w.i.n.d.o.w.s. needs bios to boot up? What is the TT version of the bios and could it be the problem?

Once 8.415 is installed, disconnect the unit from Home. Shut down Home completely (no icon in the notification area).

Restart the unit. Connect to the computer and start Home. Are you offered another application now?

Just finished installing 8.415 again. And yes I was offered another update. I did it. I left TT Home to restart after. - It froze. For half an hour now It's showing the splash screen.

Are you disconnecting the unit properly from Home, using the Device Disconnect icon?

Thi one last attempt I did it by clicking that little eject-like button in the bottom left corner of TT Home, without clicking on "Done" button as if I'd cklicked there then TT Home would restart the unit. So as soon as I got safety removed message I shut the TThome down including the mini icon on the task bar. With the unit still connected to the usb I switched it off then disconnected the unit And turned it on. After the inition animation went the language choice menu came up. At this moment I connected the usb again. I was asked then if I want to connect the unit to the computer. Tapped yes I started TT home as it didn't start by itself. Immediately offered the newest version. Installed it and let TT Home to restart my unit. And I am still holding it frozen on the splash screen. Let me just say that I've tried so many ways of diconnecting the TT from TT home and respectively from computer after the 8145 install. Tried using TT home's own restarting feuteure that is always offered aftre I press Done, Tried fro explorer's "safely remove hardware" icon on the task bar and no success.

Shot in the dark:

Connect to Home. Home's menu option for mapshare preferences. Remove ALL changes.

Remove unit properly. See if that helps.

Hm I can't even choose it! It says Mapshare is not supported either by your device or your map. Now I am supposed to be with the newest version of that application. I've noticed however that when I am only with 8415 I am allowed to use the Mapshare services.

I've also noticed there is no ttgo file after the latest update is done! And also I can't operate the device from TT home. However when I am with 8145 I can do everything - use mapshaer, operate the device from TT home, the TTgo file is there, the only thing is the constant reloop when not operated via TT home. Oh BTW - I've noticed TT home changing Ramdsik version, Application version, and the linux version of the device.

I give up.......:eek:

Call support at: 0845 161 0009 and ask for a RMA to return the unit for repairs.

Moving from app 9.x down to 8.x often causes reboot issues. Just follow these steps on 8.415 to stop the rebooting.

If you stay on app 9.056 and it reboots, try removing mapshares in HOME. If that doesn't work, do a clearflash as instructed here.

You need to let the Tomtom attempt to start up as the device OS writes the necessary ttgo.bif file. That file is what properly identifies map/features on the Tomtom.

Thank you so much TomTom for the support given today. I have found travelling alone very difficult without my sat nav. very good support and response.

Ask a Question