Snapped 910 Suction Cup OFF base

Here is a little warning. Bought a 910 March 8th, and today April 19th the plastic connector to the base snapped off sending the 910 tumbling.

I called TomTom for help and warrantee replacement...... forget it! I was told the base is warranteed for only 3 weeks! I would have to purchase a new one.

Not even an offer at wholesale price, refurbished price (It's only the cup's link to the base that snapped - replacing the flexible p/n >TPU+PC< suction cup would solve the issue) or customer goodwill replacement.

Moral of the story.... BUYER BEWARE! It's becoming apparent that the 910/510 series mount is TERRIBLE!

Atached is a picture showing the broken unit, with the clear plasting still at the bottom of the black main body.

Attachments

• GO910.jpg
    GO910.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 613
Wow that's terrible!!!

If you would like, I can send you for free of charge my mount that I don't use anymore. Here is the deal. I removed the electronic part of the mount. See here how I did that. All you would need to do is remove your electronic part of the mount and add it to my old one. Not a hard process to do, but you need to buy the torx screw driver from home depot for $5.

If this is a hassle, you might find inexpensive mounts from ebay or other sites.

If you want to take my offer, just PM me your address and I will find out info on shipping.

Wow, that is not how to treat a customer, for sure. Three weeks? Wonder where I missed that in the fine print....

Pedro, a very generous offer! :)

Looks just like how my mount snapped.:mad:

Found the mount sitting on the dashboard this morning, though I've had my 510 a little longer than you had. I rarely move it, wonder if having that plastic under tension so long is the cause (besides bad engineering - materials)

Amazon's got the FM mount on sale, though I don't need the transmitter.

My opinion is that the 910 is too heavy and the connection to the mount is all the way to the rear end of the 910. The mount is not capable of withstanding the 910's weight and the vibration.

I had the same experience. Fortunately I could use the suction cup from an old mount that was not safe and replaced by tomtom.
I've opened the 2 mounts for this operation and I've noticed that the springs in the "safe" one are much stronger. This requires more strength to turn it and probably this is causing too much tension on the cup and the break.

For the future, since I expect this to happen again, is it possible to buy the suction cup only?

Thanks

Wow that is amazing that i would find this thread today, I walked out to my truck this morning and mine had also snapped. Its a good thing that I had a spare from the replacements.

Here is a little warning. Bought a 910 March 8th, and today April 19th the plastic connector to the base snapped off sending the 910 tumbling.

I called TomTom for help and warrantee replacement...... forget it! I was told the base is warranteed for only 3 weeks! I would have to purchase a new one.

Not even an offer at wholesale price, refurbished price (It's only the cup's link to the base that snapped - replacing the flexible p/n >TPU+PC< suction cup would solve the issue) or customer goodwill replacement.

Moral of the story.... BUYER BEWARE! It's becoming apparent that the 910/510 series mount is TERRIBLE!

Atached is a picture showing the broken unit, with the clear plasting still at the bottom of the black main body.

This doesn't sound right. My Go700 will be 2 years old in December and my mount is not broken but it just droops, can't hold the weight of the device on the window. I called US Support and they're sending a new mount for my unit, no problems, no questions asked. I'm not sure who I talked with as opposed to you but there's no reason they should not send you a replacement part if yours broke. I found the US Support number here in the forums and it was quick and easy. Good luck to you.

I had a problem with my mount for my 510 which is the same mount for the 910. The suction cup broke off, I called tt and they sent me out a new mount. Try calling tt again.

Sorry to hear about your mount. Three week warranty?? sounds a litte odd. Same thing happened to mine. The area that broke is under an enormous amount of stress and some just snap. TT replaced my mount immediately with no comment about warranty. As others have commented "call them again". It is not fair when others are being replaced as tt knows of this problem.

Ask a Question