*sigh* TomTom Help!

I just picked up a TomTom and was pumped to try out my first GPS system. Worked great on my way home from the store.. got home, wanted some cool voices. So I tried the TomTom Home application, which sucks by the way.. it wouldn't find the voice files. Stupid me instead of messing around with an SD Card (which it didn't come with but I have one) messed around with the internal HD. Anyways I didn't do a thing but delete the Guam map. All I was doing was pruning the drive and making room, deleting stuff I don't need.

I didn't make a restore.. so I go to fire it up.. maps not found, I reinstall through Home... map not found.. I reinstall manually (copy folder to drive), map not found. I didn't even do a thing and it won't see the maps. I try it on an SD card.. install the Application on it, and install the maps.. same thing on the SD card! "Map not found" what the hell!?

Any help is great before I launch it into space.

I just picked up a TomTom and was pumped to try out my first GPS system. Worked great on my way home from the store.. got home, wanted some cool voices. So I tried the TomTom Home application, which sucks by the way.. it wouldn't find the voice files. Stupid me instead of messing around with an SD Card (which it didn't come with but I have one) messed around with the internal HD. Anyways I didn't do a thing but delete the Guam map. All I was doing was pruning the drive and making room, deleting stuff I don't need.

I didn't make a restore.. so I go to fire it up.. maps not found, I reinstall through Home... map not found.. I reinstall manually (copy folder to drive), map not found. I didn't even do a thing and it won't see the maps. I try it on an SD card.. install the Application on it, and install the maps.. same thing on the SD card! "Map not found" what the hell!?

Any help is great before I launch it into space.

Try downloading updated maps from the TomTom website. Make sure you make backups before tinkering.

thanks, I did just that.. updated the maps and started fresh by copying all files from the internal HD to an SD.. works now.

thanks, I did just that.. updated the maps and started fresh by copying all files from the internal HD to an SD.. works now.

Still do backups in the TT Home. I've heard that unless you backup the voices you won't be able to get them back if you lose them. Who knows what else? I crashed it once and the only thing that worked was a restore from TT Home.

First thing to always do before tweaking is back up back up and more back up

Never use home to update voices. This is done manually using windows explorer.
HOME is mostly used to update your ONE applications and download Quickfixs. Not used to install voices, map schemes or POIs.

Good Luck

Ask a Question