"Set Marker" function - beware

TomTom Model(s)
I was playing around while browsing a map on my 920 and pressed the "Set Marker" function key. Hmmm. Kind of handy being able to set a marker to a location. But I was just trying out the feature. Didn't really care to mark the location but I could not find a way to remove the marker. Now whenever I browse a map I get the green arrow with distance to that marker.
I contacted TomTom "support" and they said there is NO WAY to remove the marker once set. I can rename the marker as "home" but it will not go away. They have no solution.

I was hoping someone smarter out there has figured out a way to remove the maker once it's been set. I hate seeing a marker to a location that I do not really care about.

Thanks

I definitely played with this "Set Marker" and absolutely removed it with ease, just can't remember on top of my head now. Will play again and provide some feedback later.

Instructions for removal courtesy of Andy_P at pocketgpsworld.com:

Just reposition the green marker exactly on top of either your Home or the destination marker and it will vanish.

The easiest way to do that is:
1. From the "Browse map" screen, tap "Find",
2. then tap "Home" (or "Recent destination" and pick the latest) .
3. That should place the blue cursor exactly in the right place.
4. Tap the cursor button at the bottom
5. and then tap "Set marker position" - just as you did to set it in the first place.

It should now disappear.

Just reposition the green marker exactly on top of either your Home or the destination marker and it will vanish.

5. and then tap "Set marker position" - just as you did to set it in the first place.

It should now disappear.

Thanks. Seems to have worked. Here is how TomTom Support responded,
"This feature is able to set markers, but there is not a way to completely remove them off of the unit. As we have stated, you can 'hide' the marker by placing it as your Home address, but will not be shown as the main Home Address you have put in already. Your unit can show one Home Address at a time and your primary one will over-ride all other home addresses. We do apologize for any frustration this may have caused you."

But the method you described removed the marker and the green arrow. I don't know what they mean by "hiding" it because, just to see if it would appear again, I set my home location somewhere else and then checked to see if the marker appeared at my old Home location (it didn't so to me it looks like it was removed).

Thanks again for the assistance!

Removed Set Marker Position

Thanks DHN. Your instructions worked perfectly.

I too set a position and couldn't figure out to get rid of it. I don't understand what this feature is for. I can't say I have ever wanted to know how far away by the way the crow flys I am from somewhere. I do with my GARMIN trail GPS, but not in the city.

Thanks...

I, too, ran into this. I was poking around all the menues in frustration then, as I often do, decided to quit wasting my time and resort to the forum...

I agree, what's the point of a "set marker" function if it cannot be easily undone. But many thanks to dhn, I managed to remove the marker, but surely a software designer would think of this, what's the point of putting the marker function in the first place if it cannot easily be removed. Anyway it's sorted.

It should now disappear.

I tried this procedure on my 740 Live and all it did was move the marker to my recent destination position. Now the browse map shows the green maker and the distance to my recent destination. This is idiotic that they did not install and un mark pocedure. i find this to be an unnecessary function. I thought that this is what "Favorites" was for.

Hey- just tried it with my "Home Position" and the marker did go away. Thanks all!!!

ok...took me a couple of tries to get it right. but it works!!! :p Thanks guys. Now can anybody tells me how to remove Home location?

Change Preferences/ Restore factory defaults will get rid of your Home location, although this will also get rid of most other settings you have configured - Mike

Last edited:
The trick somewhat worked with Home location.
If the home location is changed, the flag is going to be on the ex home spot.
The Recent Destination marker happily overlapped with the Flag on the 9.026.

That's annoying!
It would be a nice feature if implemented properly with obvious delete.

Ask a Question