Route plannig

TomTom Model(s)
go live 820
Good Morning,

Just got a new Tom Tom Go Live 820 for Xmas.

Im trying to plan a route from Goole to Manchester Airport. The satnav wants me to exit the M62 at junction 20.

But i want to come off at junction 18 as i know is a more reliable route.

How do i set my satnav to come off at a specific junction ?

I have tried a couple of ideas but nothing seems to work.

thanks tony.

Once a route is determined, if you click on 'details', you can select 'travel via' and select the exit you desire. But, expand the map to make sure you are choosing the proper direction on the road for the exiting.

The "travel via" function is very useful, allowing you to add 3 or 4 waypoints that you can define by street address, city centre, postcode, Favourite, POIs etc., and as dhn says, you can also point to a spot on the map to create a "via"

But the one thing TomToms do not do is log all roads by number, or by their junction numbers so you cannot search for a road junction to go by or to leave at.

HOWEVER... help for that particular problem is at hand with some free POIs (points of interest) from UK website and forum PocketGpsWorld.com (See here for their POIs).

Under "Transport" you'll find two sets of POI files for "Motorway Entrance" and "Motorway exit".
These are carefully placed on the slip roads so will allow you to set the junctions you want to go via.

Also, you should always remember that if you KNOW the way you want to go, for a certain part of a route, then often the quickest way is to just turn off from the TomTom route whenever you want, and it will then keep automatically recalculating with it's suggested route from then on, so you can choose when to start following it again.

Pictures of the above Motorway POIs on my Go940

The "Travel via POI" screen:
attachment.php

Each exit (or entry) is named by Road number, Junction number, and direction, (so for example "M4 4bW" is Junction 4b westbound off the M4, and "M25 15CCW M4" is junction 15 off the M25 counter clockwise, joining the M4).

Here is how they look in the driving view:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Motorway_POIs_1.jpg
    Motorway_POIs_1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 662
  • Motorway_POIs_2.jpg
    Motorway_POIs_2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Travel via

But the one thing TomToms do not do is log all roads by number, or by their junction numbers so you cannot search for a road junction to go by or to leave at.

Hi Andy_P

Did I understand correctly that you cannot instruct TT to travel via say Hwy 101?
I don't think the POI database will help me in this case either.
THX

@Alex
If you can successfully set a Via point on "Hwy 101" by using the map to select the point (if a divided section of highway, be sure to get the right lane direction!), then you can force the unit to use that point to get you to your destination. When you add the "Travel via", go to the second page of options and you'll see "Point on map" as one of the selections (unless you have some coordinates, and can use those).

However, if it thinks it can find a faster way to get you to that point or finds a faster route after that point, it will may well deviate from 101. Because we don't have very many points to work with, it's sometimes hard to force the route. Remember that you can add 3 via points using the map, so you can force the TomTom to 101 three times if it turns out to be necessary. Hopefully that will be enough.

@Alex
If you can successfully set a Via point on "Hwy 101" by using the map to select the point (if a divided section of highway, be sure to get the right lane direction!), then you can force the unit to use that point to get you to your destination. When you add the "Travel via", go to the second page of options and you'll see "Point on map" as one of the selections (unless you have some coordinates, and can use those).

However, if it thinks it can find a faster way to get you to that point or finds a faster route after that point, it will may well deviate from 101. Because we don't have very many points to work with, it's sometimes hard to force the route. Remember that you can add 3 via points using the map, so you can force the TomTom to 101 three times if it turns out to be necessary. Hopefully that will be enough.

That's a 10-4 Canderson; very awkward & limiting to stretch of a road you prepared in advance, well you can't have everything.
THX

well you can't have everything.
THX
Why the devil not??? :lol: Honestly, I can't in my wildest dreams understand why they can't code itinerary planning the way we used to have it. Compared to many of the features we have, it's actually one of the least complicated. Believe me, it stays on our 'hit list' any time someone at TT asks for an opinion about their current feature set.

And OTOH, I'd like NOT to be bounced all the way back to the nav screen after making a "Settings" adjustment .. I'd like to be returned to the settings menu where I was when fiddling things.

Their menu structure could use some work. If they would at least be consistent about where and how "Done" and "Back" operate, it would help.

Ask a Question