Recurrent server timeouts

I have a tomtom720 which has worked well for the last couple of years, connecting to mapshare and gps fix without any problems.

But for the last 2 weeks i have been getting increasingly frustrated trying to download a purchased Map.

As I am going to europe in 3 weeks I thought i would buy the western europe (ver835.2419) which I did via the Home application on my PC (XP-SP3 AMD 64-4000 wih 2G RAM) ) successfuly with the receipt arriving within minutes.

However since then, I haven't been able to get anywhere.

As the memory in the NZ version of the 720 is too small I bought a kingston 4G sd card and copied all the files off the internal memory onto the card and can run the tomtom off the sd card without any problems.

But...I have not been able to download the map I bought. If I use the update my GO option, it asks which memory I want to use (I select the 3000kb of the sd card) then starts downloading the map. But once it gets to 1.18G the server times out and refuses to restart the download. The only way I can get further is to delete the download directory where upton it starts downloading from the start until reaches 1.18G then timeout. I have downloaded to this point at least 7 times on my pc.

I have tried with my Nortons 360 firewall inactive and my router firewall inactive (got infected too). I have tried uninstalling Home and installing the latest version. I have tried using my netbook (eee901 with 2g ram) without success (all using wired connections). In all used nearly half my monthly data limit downloading the same file (1.18g)

Tomtom support suggestions have been to delete the contents of my download directory (showing that they didn't read anything I sent them which included copies of error messages and that I have tried deleting that directory already). They asked for details of my hardware etc then suggested trying a different ISP.

So I have tried 3 commercial internet cafe and paid money to sit here trying to download this map (using a laptop with wired connection) estimated download times have never got smaller than 11hrs despite 2 Mps download speeds from servers in europe.

I have also tried adding 63.84.95.49 download.tomtom.com to my host file without success.

I fear being on the far side of the world could be an issue. Daytime here is server time down in europe?

Sorry for the rant but I feel I have spent more time and effort trying to download the map than cost me in the first place..

Going to try resetting the 720

I think there's a bug in the new Tomtom HOME where some things get downloaded to both SD and internal, regardless of where you tell it to go. Make sure you upgrade to the latest version of HOME, currently it's 2.7.3.1894 as they might have fixed that problem.

Try an explorer backup of your internal memory (or wherever the existing map is), then remove the map from the Tomtom. And remove all the computer voices too. This way your new map can fit in either location.

Once the new map is downloaded, you can copy it to your SD card, and copy your NZ map from the backup to the SD, too. Then you can redownload the computer voices as needed.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I am running the latest version of Home (2.73.1894) so I am no further ahead.

Tomtom support to their credit are still making suggestions but they are just stating the obvious one of turning of firewalls, usng a good quality broadband connection, connect via wired LAN and try another ISP. These are all things a reasonably competant pc user would have already tried.
After about 10 emails I would have thought perhaps a script to increase server waiting time would have helped

As I am leaving soon, I haven't got time to sit in internet cafe waiting to download files.

So current plan is to try downloading the map when I arrive in the uk and if that fails then ask for a refund.

Back in August I had download issues with map 835. Tomtom would auto-resume from where the download left off. Is your version of HOME not auto-resuming?

Ask a Question