RDS receiver

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom one/ TomTomXXL 540S/Tomtom Go Live 1535m / TomTom Go 50S
Hello guys,

I have my GPS below the dash and the GPS signal is amazing, but the RDS signal is not as good when I'm not In Montreal. What I mean is that in Montreal as soon as I start the GPS I get the traffic, but when I'm in St-Eustache which is 40k away from Montreal sometimes the signal is good , but most of the times it just don't work.

i know that can put my gps on the windshield and I will get it instantaneously, but does not an option for me.

SO,

Can I make the rds antenna longer? Will it work if the rds receiver egg is far from the gps and not so close as stock?

Thanks

http://www.google.ca/imgres?hl=en&s...114&start=0&ndsp=50&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:124

Don't forget the signal is only good for maybe 50 km. The supposed coverage for Montreal is in the link here:
http://totaltraffic.com/CoverageAre...arketUid=707b7d1d-6fc4-4cff-8ce5-54d3e553a293

For example, when I travel on highway 400 north of Toronto about 50 km, the signal dies for me. I don't know how you could extend the antenna.

If traffic is that important for you, you might consider investing in a 1535 GO LIVE model that included HD traffic. The info is more current, accurate and coverage is more comprehensive in that it includes side streets, not just highways.

But the LIVE subscription after the first year is $60/yr.

If I have wanted a live I would have buy it, to be honest I just bought because the liftime maps and the traffic was just a plus... Mine is more expensive than the 2535 Go live and If i would exhanged it I would take the 2535 live and not an older unit. It's not about that buddy, it's just that I wanted to know if the egg needs to be really that close to the unit in order to work.

I really appreciate your fast reponse buddy

Well, I find the best signal (for me, anyway) is with the unit attached to the windshield and the egg lying on the dash.

Well, I find the best signal (for me, anyway) is with the unit attached to the windshield and the egg lying on the dash.

I'm sure that's the way to get the best signal, but is not for me :)

thanks

Last edited:
I'm like you - I keep my units mounted low and also note that this diminishes the FM reception a good bit. I've fiddle around a bit trying to create inductively coupled extensions to the 'egg' but never really had any luck. Fortunately, two of the units I use are Live units, so unless I only have non-Live units in the vehicle I'm in (e.g., my Via 1605), I have the benefit of Live traffic.

Hello guys,

So after thinking about I have come to the conclusion that the traffic is really important to me, so If I buy a 2535 live will I be able to ge better signal than with the 2535 TWE?

Does the 2535 live's traffic works with fm too?

Thanks in advance

That model is NOT available in Canada.

You want the Go 1535 LIVE model if you want Live Traffic.

And better traffic reports too (or a least you do in the UK). More roads covered, and more up-to-date reports.

More than a 'better signal' as you'll get infinitely better definition of traffic problems vs. RDS.

@Andy
My time to score one for 11:09 MST. Love-15.

I just purchased the TOMTOM 1535 M live, but just for my knowledge can any of you tell me why the TOMTOM 2535 M LIVE will not work in Canada when it comes with the Map of Canada?

Why the 1535 m live has it and not the 2535 M Live?

Thank you guys

Because TomTom chose not to make that model available in Canada. They don't share their marketing strategy with us.

@Destroyer
Something you need to know is that Canadian GO 1535 Live units carry SIM cards for Rogers. U.S. spec GO 1535 Live units carry SIM cards for AT&T. One doesn't work in the others' territory. Since the GO 2535 Live wasn't ever marketed in a Canadian version, the ones you see in N.A. all carry AT&T SIM cards that won't work up your way. But as dhn says, we don't know why they chose not to create a version for you as well.

Anyway, do NOT purchase a 2535 Live from south of the parallel on the assumption that it will work up north. It won't.

Ask a Question