Protective applied screen?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
First post and just joined! But have to admit after having found this forum and reading for about a month - what a great forum you guys have created. So after all my reviewing of your comments my 720 should be here in the next two days! My question is, does the screen on the Tomtom need protection; in the sense of the protect sreen attachments that adhere onto the screen. Any comments would be appreciated. Oh and yes, I did purchase a 4 GB Scandisk ultra II, for the larger POI's file that are waiting their new home to get here.

I've had mine TT for 5 months and there is no noticable scratches on the screen. I keep it in a soft case when not charging or in use. I would wonder if the touch screen function of the unit would be compromised if a screen protector was applied.

Richard

First post and just joined! But have to admit after having found this forum and reading for about a month - what a great forum you guys have created. So after all my reviewing of your comments my 720 should be here in the next two days! My question is, does the screen on the Tomtom need protection; in the sense of the protect sreen attachments that adhere onto the screen. Any comments would be appreciated. Oh and yes, I did purchase a 4 GB Scandisk ultra II, for the larger POI's file that are waiting their new home to get here.

There are those who use the protective shields who say they must touch the screen more firmly since the sensitivity is reduced.

I got mine off eBay and it requires no firmer touch than what it needed originally... In fact I was in BestBuy a couple weeks ago and I was playing around with a couple Garmins just to see what they were like, and I felt like I had to practically push my finger through the screen to get the screen to respond. Damn, I'm glad I bought a TT!

I got mine off eBay and it requires no firmer touch than what it needed originally... In fact I was in BestBuy a couple weeks ago and I was playing around with a couple Garmins just to see what they were like, and I felt like I had to practically push my finger through the screen to get the screen to respond. Damn, I'm glad I bought a TT!

If a unit is either docked or put into a case when not in use, I don't see how the screen is going to get scratched. When in use, sure, there are going to be fingerprints but a little hot air and a lint free cloth takes care of that.

I can see needing screen protection if the unit is going to be uncovered and bouncing around somewhere ... but I could see more damage happening to the unit if handled that way than any screen protector will prevent.

I got mine off eBay and it requires no firmer touch than what it needed originally...

Yup... I agree.. I got mine protective cover off of eBay (about $5) and works just fine. Maybe a bit of a firmer touch is needed, but nothing noticeable. Also, it does add additional glare (kind of harder to see if exposed to direct sunlight. I have have mine set on the A-pillar and have no problems using it while driving. I also have hard core cover ($25) that I use while traveling.

In fact I was in BestBuy a couple weeks ago and I was playing around with a couple Garmins just to see what they were like, and I felt like I had to practically push my finger through the screen to get the screen to respond.

Ehhh... I disagree. I used their GPS' and I found it to be around the same touch response, but I do like their brightness/colors a bit more than TT

Damn, I'm glad I bought a TT!

INDEED! :)

Thanks for the replies. From the responces so far no one has indicated that normal use creates scratches on the screen. So a protective travel case is the way I'll go for now. Other then that, I have recieved my new tt720 today and have updated to firmware 2.2.2.83 and backed up every thing. But the down side I recieved it with NA map 705.1481 and TomTom's site won't allowing me to update to the newest map (715); says I have the latest. So it's a support call in the morning. Wish me luck.

I take my TT out of the car whenever I park for any length of time. I have a little "pleather" (fake plastic-leather) two pocket pouch that also holds my digital camera and a cell phone. It just fits the TT, but if I slip the unit into a man-bag or briefcase without the pouch, the plastic screen protector eliminates any scratching that occurs when it rubs against anything in the bag. For me it's just an added measure of protection. No additional pressure noticed when using the touch screen.

Last edited:

Ask a Question