Private streets?

TomTom Model(s)
One v2
Can anyone confirm whether the new v8 maps properly consider private streets when routing or providing turn indications? The v6 maps/software (original to my TomTom One v2) did this properly, but the v7 maps completely ignore private streets.

For example, our neighborhood contains a small private development whose entrance is at the second left. With the v6 map/app the driving instructions were accurately described as taking the 3rd left (i.e., the street after the private development), but in v7 it ignores the private street and instructs you to take the 2nd left. If you're not watching the map visual (or already aware of the street layout), v7 intentionally leads you astray.

So I'm just hoping that the v8 maps fix this annoyance.

If you provide specific information (city, street), perhaps somebody with a v8 map can look and see what it appears as (private streets appear as a different colour from regular ones).

Sample address

Okay, try routing to "100 Tudor Downs Rd, Winston-Salem, NC".

The route should be via Regent Village Dr not Hanover Park Dr. I believe that v7 routes via Hanover Park because it gets your closer to the final destination via "public" roads (since Regent Village Dr is "private").​

Or try routing to "5000 Shady Maple Ln, Winston-Salem, NC".

This should be the third left after turning onto Century Oaks Ln, but because Ashton Place Ct is "private" v7 instructs the driver to take the second left.​

I just tried navigating to the first address you provided. My 810 map (unit is 720) with 8.3 firmware has me use Regent Village, as you suggested.

Does this help?

Can anyone confirm whether the new v8 maps properly consider private streets when routing or providing turn indications? The v6 maps/software (original to my TomTom One v2) did this properly, but the v7 maps completely ignore private streets.

For example, our neighborhood contains a small private development whose entrance is at the second left. With the v6 map/app the driving instructions were accurately described as taking the 3rd left (i.e., the street after the private development), but in v7 it ignores the private street and instructs you to take the 2nd left. If you're not watching the map visual (or already aware of the street layout), v7 intentionally leads you astray.

So I'm just hoping that the v8 maps fix this annoyance.
I have found that some private streets are listed as closed to vehicular traffic. They should show special markings if they are closed. You can easily correct this with mapshare corrections, and select (Un)block streets. Then, it will use those streets for routing.

I have found that some private streets are listed as closed to vehicular traffic. They should show special markings if they are closed. You can easily correct this with mapshare corrections, and select (Un)block streets. Then, it will use those streets for routing.

My experience with v7 maps over the last year is that it has considered every private street that I've encountered as "closed to vehicular traffic." But that's a good tip to use MapShare to unblock those street. It's unclear to me whether this equivalency issue is a map data problem, or the application (my hunch is that it's a map data issue).

TomTom support also responded to my query with the following statement:

The new version 8.15 maps will route you directly to the entrance of a gated community but not through it. Once you have passed through the gate and then re-enter the destination, it will then take you to the location.​

Given that the 8.15 application is imposing this limitation on the driver, it should be a user preference whether to route to the entrance and force re-entry of the final destination (and I would imagine that most users would prefer direct to destination routing).

Since there isn't a way to 'trial' map upgrades other than make an in-person trip to a local retailer to test the new maps on an actual device, I'll be holding off on upgrading (and given that the price of a new unit has fallen considerably... maybe I'll just upgrade to a new device). I'm actually hoping that someone will ship a turn-by-turn navigation app for the iPhone 3G so I can use that instead of my TomTom. The accuracy of Google Maps far surpasses TomTom (in my opinion) and I would hope that any iPhone GPS application would support both local and online map sources.

My experience with v7 maps over the last year is that it has considered every private street that I've encountered as "closed to vehicular traffic." But that's a good tip to use MapShare to unblock those street. It's unclear to me whether this equivalency issue is a map data problem, or the application (my hunch is that it's a map data issue).

TomTom support also responded to my query with the following statement:

The new version 8.15 maps will route you directly to the entrance of a gated community but not through it. Once you have passed through the gate and then re-enter the destination, it will then take you to the location.​

Given that the 8.15 application is imposing this limitation on the driver, it should be a user preference whether to route to the entrance and force re-entry of the final destination (and I would imagine that most users would prefer direct to destination routing).

Since there isn't a way to 'trial' map upgrades other than make an in-person trip to a local retailer to test the new maps on an actual device, I'll be holding off on upgrading (and given that the price of a new unit has fallen considerably... maybe I'll just upgrade to a new device). I'm actually hoping that someone will ship a turn-by-turn navigation app for the iPhone 3G so I can use that instead of my TomTom. The accuracy of Google Maps far surpasses TomTom (in my opinion) and I would hope that any iPhone GPS application would support both local and online map sources.

That's strange, because I live in a gated community, and I've been to at LEAST 3 different friends houses who all live in a gated community, and the TomTom will still keep routing me without stopping...:confused:

Ask a Question