POIs as destinations

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1000 & old version 6 on PDA
I have recently bought a Go Live 1000 and am greatly disappointed to find that TomTom have removed the ability to navigate to or plan a journey to a distant POI (e.g. more than about 50 miles or 80kms away. This is an absolutely key piece of functionality, which was certainly available on my previous version of TomTom (v6). I probably selected more destinations by selecting POIs than by addresses, e.g. in my case to travel to:
? Caravan club sites and other holiday destinations
? WW1 memorials and cemeteries
? Key programmed locations such as channel tunnel or ferry access points, F1 circuit access points etc
? My family and friends are all POIs as I do not have all their addresses committed to memory
? Key shops and businesses
? Landmark Trust properties
? Other key planned destinations which I routinely create before holidays etc
? I use the created POIs a method of planning journeys and holidays and for working out best routes etc, e.g. I am taking a minibus of friends on a tour of Belgium and France shortly. The route is all planned via POIs, but if they are more than 50 miles apart I cannot navigate to my destination.

The work around offered is to select POI in city and find it that way, but frankly I don't know the nearest town or city to most of the above.

If you agree that this functionality is important and should be restored, please leave a short relevant message of support here and perhaps together we can get TomTom to take notice or is it just me and have I just wasted ?250?

Jonty........

While the new POI range in those models is a pain in the :censored:, and while we do have some UK members here and some of them have that model, I think you'll have more impact regarding your concern if you call CS, not write them, rather than trying to rally support here for your cause

0845 161 0009

I've suggested in reply to JontyWild in another forum that he might like to open a topic on TT's own new discussion forum too.

Poi in city is mislabeled. It should be POI near city center. You don't need the exact city center, just a city close by.

Navigating to POIs

I have a GO1000Live and after seeing your post, was intrigued. I have not suffered that restriction. In fact I have written a POI group of Overseas Caravan Club sites and installed it on my device. Last night, I successfully created routes across Europe from Essex to these POIs without a problem. Perhaps I am missreading your post??

Poi in city is mislabeled. It should be POI near city center. You don't need the exact city center, just a city close by.
Yes I understand that, but (and especially) in Europe I do not know nearby towns let alone spell them! Some of my POIs, e.g. WW1 cemeteries are miles from large conurbation

Last edited:
Jonty........

While the new POI range in those models is a pain in the :censored:, and while we do have some UK members here and some of them have that model, I think you'll have more impact regarding your concern if you call CS, not write them, rather than trying to rally support here for your cause

0845 161 0009
You try getting through to someone at TomTom who will a) listen and b) be in a position to do something! I am hoping for volume of support to persuade them.

Also it is relevant to those overseas as these machines and loss of functionality are heading your way!

Last edited:
I have a GO1000Live and after seeing your post, was intrigued. I have not suffered that restriction. In fact I have written a POI group of Overseas Caravan Club sites and installed it on my device. Last night, I successfully created routes across Europe from Essex to these POIs without a problem. Perhaps I am missreading your post??
That is interesting how on earth are you doing it? You do have a Go Live 1000 or 1005 not another model?

I have had this problem confirmed by experimentation and by several conversations TomTom support – who didn’t believe me either until they tried it! I have no problem searching for POIs at any distance on my old PDA version of TomTom (v6x), which by the way in literally 10x quicker in planning the route.

You can find the POI if you know any relatively nearby place (‘City’), but I rarely know that for my POIs and as said in another reply, even if I did I can’t spell some of them! Could it be that you are searching for a caravan site named by town and therefore you finding it by entering that town as a nearby city?

I have had to plan by WW1 tour of Belgium and France on my old PDA to get mileages and to input the POIs efficiently a now plan to take it with me to ensure that I can find all obscure locations, which is really beginning to defeat the point of buying a new version. In fact I would not have updated at all if they had not stopped supplying software and map updates for PDAs, but that is another issue and water under the bridge!

my old PDA version of TomTom (v6x), which by the way in literally 10x quicker in planning the route.
I don't want to drift too far off-topic from this important issue with the POIs, but you surprise me.
I've found the routing on the Go1000 to be lightning fast compared to older models.
I think you might find any slow-down is due to IQ Routing (which of course isn't on your old v6 Navigator).
Try switching it off on the Go1000 and see what happens (Planning settings / IQ Routes button)

You can find the POI if you know any relatively nearby place (?City?), but I rarely know that for my POIs and as said in another reply, even if I did I can?t spell some of them! Could it be that you are searching for a caravan site named by town and therefore you finding it by entering that town as a nearby city

Ah! I see your point. With me, I know the name or reference number of the CC site where I want to go - or, I can navigate with reference to the nearest city. That will not work for you, I can see. If you know where you are going before leaving home, you could use Google Earth and list the destinations by map cordinates, but why should you do that if merely to overcome a shortcoming of the device? Perhaps, TT will come up with the itinerary facility in due course...... keep hoping.

That's excellent news.
Now I wonder if we are going to get the range back that we used to have on the NAV2 models?

Ask a Question