Optimal RDS-TMC Receiver Placement

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hey there,

I am just wondering what the best placement for the RDS-TMC receiver is. Right now, I have it running vertically up my windshield on the drivers side, however parts of the wire have to hang a bit because my windshield is not that long vertically.

My questions refers to, what is the optimal placement for the RDS-TMC Receiver?
Would my current placement be determental to finding service?
Would it be better if I re-located the placement to running horizontally down the bottom of the windshield?

Thanks in advance,
--Phil

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Just an update, I am in my Jeep now and noticed that when I took it off the position it was originally in and just let the traffic antenna just sit across my dash horizontally, the reception I was unable to get becomes available.

--Phil

I think your first position is probably the best. i also have some slack. I tried running it in front of another device attached to the bottom of the windshield - thinking if it was totally against the glass, so much the better. It hardly worked at all then.

You should fined a location where you have noticed it cutting in and out , and try a number of placements for the unit and see which one works best.

Note - they was another thread on this earlier - find it and see some other comments there.

I think your first position is probably the best. i also have some slack. I tried running it in front of another device attached to the bottom of the windshield - thinking if it was totally against the glass, so much the better. It hardly worked at all then.

You should fined a location where you have noticed it cutting in and out , and try a number of placements for the unit and see which one works best.

Note - they was another thread on this earlier - find it and see some other comments there.
I did already review the other thread, however it seems that placing it alongside the windshield (not necessarily connected to the glass either) it seems that it is better placement than vertically.

--Phil

Do you have any sheilding on the top of your windshield, for example around and or close to were the antenna sits?

I have tried:

vertically in the middle of the windshield (near the TomTom),
vertically on the left of the windshield (like the picture),
strung horizontally between the TomTom and the grab bar on the right side of the windshield, and
flopped down somewhat horizontally on the dashboard when I forgot to set it up.

They all work fine. I always get a signal and a lock, though it cycles between three stations in the DFW area.

Ask a Question