One thing that Tomtom should implement...

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom 930
We know that Tomtom has the ability to take a location from Google Maps on a computer and then send it to a GPS via Tomtom Home. What surprises me is that Tomtom has not come up with a method to do this from a cell phone/smartphone via Bluetooth.

I used to use Tomtom Navigator 6 on my old Palm Treo 680, and it was great because it integrated the address book from my phone(navigate to contact). So, why not have a small app for the various smartphone platforms that will use a paired phone/Tomtom connection and send over an address in the same way the Google Maps to Tomtom Home connection works?

I really wish I was still into programming(got out of it back in 1992) since I would just do it myself, but I am a bit rusty when it comes to code, and even then, I don't know the environment on the Tomtom devices well enough to see if it can be easily added or not. Still, if we can transfer phone numbers from a paired phone, why not expand on it and add the option to bring over addresses? If storage space or memory usage is a concern, then make it so you pick what you want to transfer, or use the SD card for the storage.

So, what do you all think? Would this be possible?

I really wish I was still into programming(got out of it back in 1992) since I would just do it myself, but I am a bit rusty when it comes to code, and even then, I don't know the environment on the Tomtom devices well enough to see if it can be easily added or not. Still, if we can transfer phone numbers from a paired phone, why not expand on it and add the option to bring over addresses? If storage space or memory usage is a concern, then make it so you pick what you want to transfer, or use the SD card for the storage.

So, what do you all think? Would this be possible?

From what I have seen about Tom Tom as a user of their devices so far; it looks like Tom Tom have been actively discouraging anybody from developing anything for their devices.

I am saying actively discouraging because they initially provided SDK and API etc but then later on have been disabling these and preventing these third party applications from working when they have brought out later versions of their Navcore software. And with every new version they seem to be deliberately disabling more and more of these third party extensions or software. Looks like even the POI stuff they are trying to block.

Actually being a Linux device, such an attitude of preventing third parties from developing anything is very anti-linux - and more pro-Microsoft.

But Tom Tom seem to be obeying what Microsoft wanted them to do - and I guess one should not be too surprised if Tom Tom brings out a device which uses Windows 7 Mobile or some such os and then abandon Linux completely. This may even be the part of the deal Tom Tom had to agree with Microsoft, when Microsoft had taken Tom Tom to court about the FAT patent issue.

The Linux developer community does not seem to be factored in any way in their products road map.

tomtom offers integration with contacs on the iphone. and they opened up a send to tomtom api for the iphone too. they announced a return of third party apis for the upcoming 10.x models but my guess is they will have a closed commission-based app store like apple.

Ask a Question