TomTom 720 can't see anything on screen!

The TomTom turns on, because I can hear the voices, but the display is so faint I can't see enough to operate it. I've checked the display settings options and there is no problem there. Any ideas?

Try a reset of the unit.

Also, as best as you can tell, is the unit fully charged?

It's my daughter's sat nav, but I'm sure she has tried resetting it and I can't believe she'd be daft enough not to have it fully charged. but I shall have to check.. Thanks.
Assuming it is fully charged, can you think of anything else?

If your room is pitch black (indoors at night with no lights) does the screen have at least a faint glow when on? If not, then the LCD's backlight is probably dead. You'd need either a new screen or a new screen cable (depending on what's broken).

Otherwise, it's usually software. Under brightness preferences, move both sliders all the way to the right. If you don't see "brightness preferences", you may need to enable "show all menu options".

Thanks for this. Yes, you can see the screen faintly in the dark, so it's not the screen or the backlight, but the brightness sliders are set right across and still no joy :(

Really strange - what if you disable "auto adjust brightness" and disable "auto day/night"?

Perhaps there's dirt in your light sensor (or a broken sensor) and the Tomtom dims because it thinks you're in a really dark room.

If that doesn't help, you can try clearflash 3 times in a row and a pin reset. They somtimes fix strange software behavior.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
TomTom have asked for it to be returned to them and sent a postage-paid package for me to send it in. So, fingers crossed..

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
TomTom have asked for it to be returned to them and sent a postage-paid package for me to send it in. So, fingers crossed..

Funny that. I've just had to send my 730 back with exactly the same problem. It'll be interesting to see what's up but then these things are always happening to me.

Ask a Question