Navigator 5 = screw the customer (thanks for nothing TOMTOM)

Dear TOMTOM,

I recently purchased TOMTOM Navigator 5 for my PPC. As you should know, you do not update your maps anymore (in fact, not after 2005), but yet you keep selling the product without telling anyone that there are no map updates... EVER!

Sure, some of the maps are still right, but just like you state on your website, 20% of maps change each year. So thats 3 years, or 60%. So basically what you have sold me is a worthless navigation system for $250.

I called tech support. "Oh, you have to buy Navigator 6". Thats crap and you know it. I can't believe you would sell me worthless software. (and it is worthless because anyone who lives in a city can tell you how much changes in 3 years)

So, to sum everything up, I would like to ask you nicely to stop selling worthless software to your customers and only sell navigator 6. You have lost me as a customer forever.

Signed,
Derek

Did you buy the software online or retail coz on TT's online shop (EU, US, or Asia) the only available version is Nav6. If retail, then it's the shop's responsibility not to sell outdated versions or at least inform the buyer that a new version is available.

Retail

I purchased the software retail and I knew there was a new version available. But before i purchased i looked at several online retailers that were still selling navigator 5 and nothing was said about outdated maps. All the online retailers selling Navigator 5 in stock and are still selling it.

Maybe the retailers should have updated their listing (or maybe tomtom never told them). Either way, I am screwed, I am wondering how tomtom can just drop map support for a product that they still offer software support on? Is it that hard to make the maps available (at least purchase) to navigator 5 users?

More Navigator Blues

I have Navigator 6 on an HP rx5915. I have contacted TomTom on 3 separate occasions and they will not give a straight answer on updates for version 6 either. I was a Garmin user for years, and I will be going back if TomTom drops support and updates for the Navigator product line. They were selling it directly from their web site until about a week ago. A lousy way to do business.

Caveat Emptor...

Why did you pay $250 for Navigator 5, when you could have bought Navigator 6 for $99 (mailorder...delivered) with the new maps?

I understand why you would be upset at the situation, but I'm not sure that TomTom should be the focus of your anger.

I understand your grief TomTom Navigator 5

I purchased a copy of Navigator 5 Autralia map and one year later was told by TomTom, Netherlands that for an upgrade I needed to purchase the TomTom 6 Navigator version; when I was already a Navigator v6 Western Europe customer. Unlike most software suppliers TomTom Customer Service fails miserably to offer software and map upgrades to existing customers at discounted prices. I consider TomTom has no policy caring for existing customers where new purchases or upgrades occur!

They are in the dark ages have you ever tried to send TomTom.com an Email?

Dear TOMTOM,

I recently purchased TOMTOM Navigator 5 for my PPC. As you should know, you do not update your maps anymore (in fact, not after 2005), but yet you keep selling the product without telling anyone that there are no map updates... EVER!

Sure, some of the maps are still right, but just like you state on your website, 20% of maps change each year. So thats 3 years, or 60%. So basically what you have sold me is a worthless navigation system for $250.

I called tech support. "Oh, you have to buy Navigator 6". Thats crap and you know it. I can't believe you would sell me worthless software. (and it is worthless because anyone who lives in a city can tell you how much changes in 3 years)

So, to sum everything up, I would like to ask you nicely to stop selling worthless software to your customers and only sell navigator 6. You have lost me as a customer forever.

Signed,
Derek

I would try to return it for your money back due to the fact that you were sold old software and were not given all the appropriate information

Caveat Emptor...

Why did you pay $250 for Navigator 5, when you could have bought Navigator 6 for $99 (mailorder...delivered) with the new maps?

I understand why you would be upset at the situation, but I'm not sure that TomTom should be the focus of your anger.

Certainly, this had to be a "drive by" poster.

[03-03-2008 boxoman: I recently purchased TOMTOM Navigator 5 ]

And you do absolutly NO research of what yer buying? Didn't even visit the mfg's homepage for details ? Didn't at least "google" navigator?
Naw, I ain't buying into any of this nonsense. Found your way to this forum, but 3-4 weeks ago couldn't navigate yourself to mfg's site, review sites, GPS sites ????
I'm calling BS on this deal....there's alot more to this than wer'e being told.

I purchased the software retail and I knew there was a new version available. But before i purchased i looked at several online retailers that were still selling navigator 5 and nothing was said about outdated maps. All the online retailers selling Navigator 5 in stock and are still selling it.

Maybe the retailers should have updated their listing (or maybe tomtom never told them). Either way, I am screwed, I am wondering how tomtom can just drop map support for a product that they still offer software support on? Is it that hard to make the maps available (at least purchase) to navigator 5 users?
You did the research and bought the older version anyway? The NAV 5 is still being sold since some PDA's are not compatible with NAV 6, this is why NAV 5 is out there. NAV 5 has been out of production for some time now.

Ask a Question