numbers instead of names in phone book

Hi I bought a go 720 a week ago and paired it with my motorola phone it imported all the names and numbers fine , but today I updated the gps on the website and in doing so it deleted all my phone numbers and other data . I paired my cell phone to the 720 again and downloaded the phone book again this time I got a bunch of numbers in front of the phone number instead of the names . I use an I Mac computer. Dose anyone know how I could get the names for my phone numbers back on the 720 instead of a bunch of confusing numbers I would really appreciate your help Thank You Mitch

I had the same issue on my 730 trying to pair with Motorola Phone. The names are actually in HEX Format....
It should be exactly the same for your 720...It worked for me!

Here is the Solution from Tom Tom Support:

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support in regards to transferring your phonebook manually to your GO 730. My name is Cassie and we are always happy to help.

As the phonebook did not automatically transfer to the device, we will need to manually place it onto the device. In order to manually transfer your phone book entries, please take the steps outlined below:

- Connect your GO 730 to the computer.

- On your computer desktop open My Computer.

- Open the TomTom drive.

- Make a text file in the root directory of your TomTom called contacts.txt. or EDIT the One that is there.

- Put the next lines in the text file (copy and paste):

"name1","0011234567890"

"name2","0011234567890"

"name3","0011234567890"

"name4","0011234567890"

"name5","0011234567890"

"name6","0011234567890"

- Now you can fill in your names and phone numbers: rename names to ex. Peter, Joe, etc. Please note that you can place spaces in the Names (ex. "Peter Collins","0011234567890").

- Do the same for the numbers. You can make the list as long as needed, just copy the last line below the end (make sure the brackets and commas are not removed or displaced) .

- Save the file.

- Shut down the device and remove the USB cable.

- Restart your GO 730.

- If successful, you will now see your Phone Book entries listed.

Do NOT!! Use the Get Numbers From Phonebook after this or it will change back to HEX again.....

Hope this Helps!

Thank You

Ker88 Thank You for the info, yes it fixed my problem ,again thank you ,you made my day. Mitch

Glad it worked out for....Remember don't import phonebook, cause it just go back to HEX format

Take Care!

Ask a Question