Number Enunciation

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
I'm happy enough with the standard Tom-Tom voices, but cannot get on with road numbers being enunciated as "Five thousand two hundred and sixty two". I would like a voice that enunciates the road number as "Five, Two, Six, Two", preferably one of the standard voices. Is there such a thing?

The text to speech definitely leaves something to be desired. I was driving up the 805 North in San Diego this morning and it was stating it as "8-WEST-5".

We've noticed that "zero" as in the 405 or the 101 freeways is always pronounced "west". This has confused guests who have borrowed TomTom when visiting from out-of-state. "Susan" frequently mispronounces Spanish names and, iin Palm Springs reverses double street names: Vista Chino comes out Chino Vista. I correct her repeatedly, but to no avail. Some kids just never learn! Any suggestions from anyone on how to alter/modify this annoying behavior?

New to the tomtom XL340S- bought one on black friday, and solved the problem you mentioned in a different way, so it will not affect you if you drive into Canada.

As mvlpointed out in another thread

" There's a highway file roadnrEnglishUS.rex (note the "rex") that appears to renumber highways in American vernacular. eg: 405 = "Four-oh-five"
I think the o=west is firing after that messing everything up"

This is 100% correct. The solution is as follows

Using Windows Explorer, Open your Tomtom and use path
LoquendoTTS/data/

Open the roadnrEnglishUS.REX file in a text editor
You'll see strings like this- = "\1 \s US \Nx \2 o \Nx \3 \4" . Note the lowercaseletter o.

Replace all the letter "o"s with a string that will not occur in normal language.
For my TomTom, I used "qxq", but any string will probably work

Now we need to associate that string with "o"

open up roadnrEnglishUS.LEX
and write a new line
"qxq" = "o"
Just tested it. Problem solved. And it shouldn't affect the French "o=ouest" problem at all.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

We've noticed that "zero" as in the 405 or the 101 freeways is always pronounced "west". This has confused guests who have borrowed TomTom when visiting from out-of-state. "Susan" frequently mispronounces Spanish names and, iin Palm Springs reverses double street names: Vista Chino comes out Chino Vista. I correct her repeatedly, but to no avail. Some kids just never learn! Any suggestions from anyone on how to alter/modify this annoying behavior?

don't know if computer voice DAVE would be any better but many tomtom users prefer him

A superior (IMHO) solution is to edit the regular expression file in the same directory so that is uses the word "oh" instead of "o". This way, the original "o" entries for Quebec "o=west" references will still work and "oh" is pronounced the same as "o" in any case.

The file to edit is LoquendoTTS/data/roadnrEnglishUS.REX. Be sure to make a backup before you play. Change all "o" references in the regular expressions to "oh". My file ends up looking like like this. Note the three "oh"s (lines 2, 5 and 8).

Code:
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2 \3"

^^^^

Yes, much more elegant. I didn't think of that. If the files get overwritten again (They did when I loaded another American TTS voice), I'll make your change.

The information you people have provided is certainly worthy of making this thread a sticky. Thanks.

There is one more issue that I have noticed.

Something like I-295 will be spoken as "Interstate two-ninety-five", and US-295 will be spoken as "US two-ninety-five", Highway 295 will be spoken as "Highway two hundred and ninety-five"
It appears that Highway is no longer coded as HW (was it ever?) but is now coded as Hwy (at least in 840maps)

This can be corrected in the roadNRUSEnglish.rex files. As always, please backup before you play.

So my code now looks like (note the three "Hwy" in place of HW).

Code:
"(^|[ \t]+)Hwy[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)Hwy[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)Hwy[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"

New to the tomtom XL340S- bought one on black friday, and solved the problem you mentioned in a different way, so it will not affect you if you drive into Canada.

As mvlpointed out in another thread

" There's a highway file roadnrEnglishUS.rex (note the "rex") that appears to renumber highways in American vernacular. eg: 405 = "Four-oh-five"
I think the o=west is firing after that messing everything up"

This is 100% correct. The solution is as follows

Using Windows Explorer, Open your Tomtom and use path
LoquendoTTS/data/

Open the roadnrEnglishUS.REX file in a text editor
You'll see strings like this- = "\1 \s US \Nx \2 o \Nx \3 \4" . Note the lowercaseletter o.

Replace all the letter "o"s with a string that will not occur in normal language.
For my TomTom, I used "qxq", but any string will probably work

Now we need to associate that string with "o"

open up roadnrEnglishUS.LEX
and write a new line
"qxq" = "o"
Just tested it. Problem solved. And it shouldn't affect the French "o=ouest" problem at all.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

I don have the "LoquendoTTS/data/" folder on my unit ??? I'm using Navcore 8.351 Please let me know,

I don have the "LoquendoTTS/data/" folder on my unit ??? I'm using Navcore 8.351 Please let me know,

The 720 and 920 don't have the numbering hint file. You should be able to add the same rows to the following file to accomplish the same thing:

\LoquendoTTS\EnglishUs\roadnrAUS.EnglishUS6.8.lex

The 720 and 920 don't have the numbering hint file. You should be able to add the same rows to the following file to accomplish the same thing:

\LoquendoTTS\EnglishUs\roadnrAUS.EnglishUS6.8.lex

I tried this and it didn't make any difference.

Not a big deal. Thank you,

Been following this thread with much interest. Any help fixing the FM (farm to market) road numbers that are spoken as "fm two hundred ninety five road"? Don't know where thje road comes from?? BTW my Garmin & Mio both screw up the FM part on some occasions. They say Federated States of Micronesia. Haven't seen this with the 540. That may have to do with caps or lower case fm.
Cheers,
kev

Last edited:
How to I change the Hwy 217 NB to pronounce North Bound and not the letters NB ?

I added entries to the roadnrEnglishUS.lex

"nb" = northbound"

But it didn't work.

Issue with hundreds

Thanks very much for the fix to the mispronunciation of numbers on TomToms...I did find a bit of an issue that I'd appreciate help getting resolved.

In the DC area they have a lot of highways that end in double zeros (e.g., MD-100, the new MD-200, VA-400, and VA-7100). The current code readout has the words read, "one-oh-zero"...is there a way to get the numbers to read as "one hundred" just when there are two trailing zeroes?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Fixed it myself...

Fixed the issue myself. I tested it on my TomTom GO 740 LIVE and it hasn't broken anything with Susan, but it would help if somebody could load it up and see if it works on their TomTom.

I only made changes to the US and Highway lines as they are the only ones that have "00" hundred highways...

Always remember to BACKUP your old files before loading...

Code:
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])([0-9])0([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \Nx \2 hundred \Nx"
"(^|[ \t]+)Hwy[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)Hwy[ \-]*([0-9])([0-9])0([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \Nx \2 hundred \Nx"
"(^|[ \t]+)Hwy[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)Hwy[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2 \3"

You guys are my champions! Thanks to you, I've now corrected some big issues ("1 West 1", "Los An-hale-las" (Los Angeles), and "HW" (now "Highway"). Now I just have to work my way through other city mispronunciations. (Sacramento sounds like "Sac-rah-men-tah".)

Before I discovered this board, I was getting ready to send my GPS back to TomTom for a replacement. Now it looks like I'll be keeping it. Thank you so much!

Ask a Question