Not just a newb, a stumped newb! :o

While updating my 910 I let my 910 run out of power. When I start it now I get the TomTom drumroll and then it goes to a flashing red circle with a line through it.
Thats the only option I have now.
I've arrived in Paris with a dead GPS and Hertz was out of them. It's a LITTLE different over here. ;)
TIA

Sounds like you might want to charge it then hit the reset button to see if that fixes the problem.

Do you have the machine with you that you did your first back-up to in case you need to restore the initial settings?

While updating my 910 I let my 910 run out of power. When I start it now I get the TomTom drumroll and then it goes to a flashing red circle with a line through it.
Thats the only option I have now.
I've arrived in Paris with a dead GPS and Hertz was out of them. It's a LITTLE different over here. ;)
TIA

Try a full recharge and then reset it if necessary using the reset button. The lithium ion batteries are very temperamental. They do suggest that yoyu run them down occasionally but I am not a risk taker. I will go as far as a little less than the half the charge indicator. My 510 seems to use the battery faster as it loses a charge.

Thanx for the quick replies. I've not tried a reset. I do have the machine I used to back it up with me.

I'll try it when i get off today. I'll post results either way.

Hi Joe,

I hope you solve your problem with a recharge and a reset. You'll love the joy of navigating in a strange environment with your TomTom. I was in Paris this summer, and I found that the narrow streets sometimes caused the unit to struggle to get a satellite fix. Also, if your rental car is a French make, it may have an athermic windshield, which will also cut the satellite signal somewhat.

But all in all, it took all the stress out of driving there.

reset

OK, I've tried recharging the 910 and resetting it via a paper clip and turning it on.....several times.
The only difference is instead of a flashing circle with a diagonal line through it I now have a smaller flashing red circle with a plus sign or cross in it.

Any ideas?

OK, I've tried recharging the 910 and resetting it via a paper clip and turning it on.....several times.
The only difference is instead of a flashing circle with a diagonal line through it I now have a smaller flashing red circle with a plus sign or cross in it.

Any ideas?

I had a similar issue once - mine came up to the splash screen (my background) and then froze. I had to work with tech support who were able to get Home to see it and then restore my original backup. I think you'll need to call them to help you get it back up and running.

BTW - my problem was the night before a big trip as well and I could only use it for the return after I was able to get an hour with internet and tech support.

Good Luck,

Chuck

You say you have the backup on your laptop. So why not try use Windows Explorer to copy over the backup files. (I trust this method more than Home.)

First try to copy just the system files and see if that works. (That would be everything except the map folders). If this doesn't do the trick, then copy the map folders too.

Thats good! No thats bad! Almost there.

Following the advice I received my 910 is up and running! Thanks all around!

Once it locks on it runs as if I were at home and gives GREAT directions concerning the myriad of traffic circles, tunnels, one-ways and alleys you see in Paris. I amaze my French counter parts when I ask for an address instead of directions.:D

But of course another Gremlin has joined the party, I sometime drive around for an hour before I lock on to signal. My hotel is in Les Ulis on the southern outskirts of Paris with an unobstructed view of the sky. Does TomTom know where it is and automatically search for the correct satellites? Do I need to d/l satellite coordinates?

Does TomTom know where it is and automatically search for the correct satellites?
Well, it knows where it is once it has a fix! Once it loses that fix (when you switch it off), it will assume that it is in approximately the same place that it was when it lost the fix. It then starts looking for satellites based on that last known position. If you move it a considerable distance while it is switched off, it will therefore take much longer to get a fix again.

Do I need to d/l satellite coordinates?
You don't need to, but it would speed things up if you were to get the latest Quickfix data. Also, if you are moving (i.e. driving around) it will take much longer to get a fix. Try to get a fix before you leave. Perhaps leave it next to the window in your room while you have breakfast?

Ask a Question