No Sound on my 350 XL

TomTom Model(s)
XL 350
Help.

I purchased my TomTom XL 350 last year and thus far am no fan (my only other experience was with my mother-in-law's Garmin, which I thought was great!). At present, my TomTom has not sound. No matter what I do the sound icon has a line through it. I tried resetting it to factory settings, tried the options settings a set the volume on 100% and no matter what, it reverts to sound. When I plan a route, in the top left corner of the screen the sound icon flashed with another symbol next to it. Help?

Welcome to TTF. When you select a voice and click 'test', what do you hear? And the question I have to ask is whether it is still under warranty? Also, why did you not return it?

[I have moved your post to a different location for more visibility]

Sound? Voice?

When I click sound test - I slide the bar 10 100% - I get a audible voice one when I check "Link car speed to volume". If I do not check that, I hear a barely audible voice. I check 'Sound On" and as soon as I return to my map the sound icon appears with a line through it.

Thanks

Unlink the car speed to volume, that is more trouble than it is worth.

Are you having the issue with all voices you try? If your unit does not have a dedicated reset hole, then hold the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sound. See if that helps.

If not, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's device. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Connect to Home and install the application offered. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Any better?

A couple of additional questions:
1. Is this happening with the unit attached to the car charger or running on battery or both?
2. what is your map version? The latest is 900.

When I click sound test - I slide the bar 10 100% - I get a audible voice one when I check "Link car speed to volume". If I do not check that, I hear a barely audible voice. I check 'Sound On" and as soon as I return to my map the sound icon appears with a line through it.

Thanks

Sorry if this is too simple or obvious, but are you getting confused by TomTom's menu icons? It's happened before...
The icons are labelled with what happens if you tap them, NOT what the situation is at the moment. And they change accordingly!

When the sound is ON, you should see a red icon in the preferences menu saying "Turn off sound", and when the sound is already OFF, the icon should be green and say "Turn on sound".

Another thing to check is whether you have TWO settings - one for "turn on/off sound" and another for "turn on/off voice guidance". I don't think any of the XL models have that (my XL LIVE IQ doesn't), but my Go940 and 950 do.

If it's not as simple as that, then continue with dhn's instructions to reinstall the operating system.

Ask a Question