Newbie to the forums

Hi I am new here and jsut wanted to introduce myself, and pick your brains:cool:

I have a Tom Tom 1, which is driving me nuts.:confused:

I have selected the 'Quickest Route' option but keep being sent down stupidly narrow country lanes:(:(

What am I doing wrong, I want to use major roads not back alleys.

Thanks in advance

Jayne

Hi I am new here and jsut wanted to introduce myself, and pick your brains:cool:

I have a Tom Tom 1, which is driving me nuts.:confused:

I have selected the 'Quickest Route' option but keep being sent down stupidly narrow country lanes:(:(

What am I doing wrong, I want to use major roads not back alleys.

Thanks in advance

Jayne

use the other option... fastest route instead of quickest..
I think Quickest is the way a Bird would fly ...

use the other option... fastest route instead of quickest..
I think Quickest is the way a Bird would fly ...

With respect, widescreen.... I think you've got this wrong.

"Fastest" and "Quickest" are the same thing! (TomTom calls it "Fastest").

You're thinking of "Shortest" :D

As for your question lablady... I'm afraid you're stuck with it. The TomTom has obviously decided that a "cross-country route" is slightly faster than any other for your destinations. and there are very few settings to alter it's decision-making (only things like "Avoid motorways" or "avoid toll roads").

My wife just rolls her eyes and calls them "TomTom routes" as we head off on another zig-zag course down minor tracks in order to cut off a small corner of the major road we were following.
It happens all the time.

Working out "shortest" or "quickest" routes is a lot of number-crunching, but fairly simple maths. But to produce anything with "common sense" actually takes a different league of computing power.

Hi: Just got a tomtom xl 335 M and trying to get started. First of all is it necessary to download the program to my computer. Secondly, how do I charge my device. Do I just leave it plugged into my computer for several hours...do I turn it on or leave it off? Sorry....I'm not good on computers either. I'm electronical devices challenged...thats for sure!!

Thanks,
Karen

Hi Karen...
Let's do the charging first.

It will charge while connected to the computer (so long as the computer is on!) It will charge quicker if the TomTom is off.
But charging on the PC is always much slower than using the dedicated car charger that came with it.
However, battery life on TomTom's is not great. They were designed to be left connected to the car charger all the time while you're using it.

Now... when you say "is it necessary to download the program to my computer." I think you might be referring to the advice we always give to everyone which is to make a BACKUP of everything on the TomTom onto your computer.
This can save you a lot of hassle if anything ever goes wrong at a later date.

There are some good instructions here:

How to backup the contents of your unit to the computer

Hope that helps, shout if there's anything you need clarified or if I've got the wrong end of the stick and you meant something else.
Andy

Hi Andy:
Thanks for responding. As I said I'm new to this...my 1st gps. I have a few friends who said they just took their unit out of box...plugged it in and away they went. When I asked about computer, thats what I meant...do I have to download tomtom home onto my computer so I can change things on computer instead of directly onto unit. I'm having a hard time navigating their web site...downloading a voice etc. As far as charging goes...in the box I got an adapter to plug into car and an adapter to plug into computer. Do you mean that its slower plugging it into my computer for charging than plugging it into car? So really what they want us to do is keep unit plugged into car even when we're not using it?? Hope I don' t sound tooooooo dumb!!

Karen

Hi Andy:
Thanks for responding. As I said I'm new to this...my 1st gps. I have a few friends who said they just took their unit out of box...plugged it in and away they went.

Yes of course you can do just that.... Probably the majority of people do.
The only problem comes if anything goes wrong. You can replace most of what's on there for free. But it's a hassle and if you lose your maps somehow, TT won't give you another copy, so you have to BUY them (about half the price of the whole sat nav!)

I guess things are also more likely to go wrong if you choose to update the device or add stuff to it rather than just leave it, so basically we always advise you make at least one backup, straight away before you do ANYTHING else.
Hopefully you'll never need it but forums like this are full of people with big problems that would be simple to fix if only they had made a backup.

When I asked about computer, thats what I meant...do I have to download tomtom home onto my computer so I can change things on computer instead of directly onto unit.

You can get by without using Home if all you want to do is add voices etc. IF you know where to get them from and where to copy and paste them to on the device.
Home is supposed to make it easy, but it's been such a crap program in the past that a lot of us old-timers just use it as little as possible, and especially we don't use it to make backups - always use Windows Explorer to do that (see the link in my first reply).

However, you do need to use Home if you want to buy a new map, and it's easiest to use it if you want to update the software.

Again though... many people just use what came out of the box and never update it.

I'm having a hard time navigating their web site...downloading a voice etc.

Don't use their website... Either use the "Add Traffic,voices, safety cameras etc." section of Home, or get the voice files from third-party websites and add them manually (we can give instructions for that if they aren't on those websites.

As far as charging goes...in the box I got an adapter to plug into car and an adapter to plug into computer. Do you mean that its slower plugging it into my computer for charging than plugging it into car?
Correct.

So really what they want us to do is keep unit plugged into car even when we're not using it

No... only when you ARE using it.
Think of it as not having a battery at all, and so you just plug it in whenever you use it in the car.
The battery can best be thought of as just a bonus for when you want to switch it on in your hand to have a little play.

Last edited:

Ask a Question