Newbie external speaker Q's

Hi to all, first post of many i'm sure.

I have had my TomTom car kit now for 5 days and am really pleased with it.

My question is, when my Iphone is connected with it and I get a phone call it comes up with 3 options, Iphone, speaker or tomtom speaker. I have been using the tomtom speaker but find it not loud enough for when im outside the Ute to hear it ringing.

So if I connect the my stereo via the 3.5mm AUX port to the tomtom 3.5mm Audio port, the sound should be as loud as my stereo speakers will put out right? And will I be able to run to the Ute and switch back to the tomtom speaker as I'm assuming that the mic will not work with the Audio port in use.

What would be really ideal would be to hock up to my car horn when ringing then run to the Ute to answer, but cannot find any info out there on how to do it.

Most of the time my hands are dirty and don't like carrying my phone around in my pocket in case it gets scratched, but my ute is always handy to get to..just need to be able to hear it ring.

Failing the above, I may need to get a bluetooth headset.

Today I played around and got it working.

Connected 3.5mm Audio cable from my stereo to the iPhone whilst in the tomtom cradle. When leaving the ute select AUX1 on the stereo, select volume on the stereo and walk away.

With my ringtone set to airhorn, when the phone rings it is very loud as I have an amplifier on the stereo, I then go to the ute, select answer on the iPhone, which then give the option for tomtom speaker to continue the conversation.

I tried connecting the audio cable to the tomtom but nothing happens.. no sound. Not sure why?

All that is left to do is mount speaker in the front grill under the hood, with a switch to flick on when I'm out side the ute and then flick it off when inside the ute, because if I decide to use the stereo and play music whilst driving, we don't want to distract other motorists with a musical float..lol

For the audio via the TomTom Car Kit you need to have the mount powered up and paired with the iPhone, perhaps your mount power lead wasn't live?? - Mike

Mike, you were correct it wasn't powered up when i tried doh!!., as i remember realising now that's why the bluetooth wouldn't connect after I dismantled the dash and removing the power from the cigarette lighter connection. When plugging it back in, the phone paired ok, but didn't try the audio on the cradle again. So tried today and all is ok thanks.

The audio connection on the cradle actually works better as the volume amplifies at a lower setting, so when changing back to the radio I don't have to remember to turn the volume down, so not to blow the speakers and sub.

Ask a Question