New member with XL 350 TM

TomTom Model(s)
XL 350TM
Just picked up my XL 350 TM yesterday at Best Buy.

Still learning the nuances of this model, but no complaints so far.

Welcome to TTF.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents now! It's your safety net.....................

Thank you DHN for the clarity. From the link, I understand back-up is to restore maps accidentally lost.
One more question: In the context of XL350TM with free map updates for life of the unit, do you still see a need for back-up. Appreciate, if you could confirm my understanding...

Yes, after every major download such as a newer application and especially a map.

Sometimes, who knows why, files on the unit can become corrupt and, as a consequence, the unit starts to act strangely.

Often, a reformat of the unit and a reload of a recent backup cures the issue.......

Found bug already

Yes, I made the Explorer backup of the device. It was one of the first things I did! :)

I did find a bug with the device already. When travelling on the PA Turnpike, TomTom wanted me to use the EZPass only high speed lane. Thankfully, I have EZPass, but if someone didn't, this could definitely be a problem.

I have already set my them to Retro and added Mario Kart as my vehicle.

I like the device so far. It is easy to use and works quite well.

I also found the secret demo mode where I can preview my trip before taking it. You have to hit the "Version" button on the trip screen and then tap the upper right corner twice to get into it. It is a great way to preview your trip since this model does not provide turn by turn text directions.

When the route was established, was there not an advisory screen that the route involved HOV lanes? It does when a route involves toll roads............

It advised that there were toll roads, which I was OK with, but did not have any other advisory.

It just seems to treat EZPass lanes as regular lanes.

May be a limitation of the mapping data or just another example of reduced functionality with 'EasyMenu'.

340s Has Same Issue

Found someone with the same issue on a 340s model as described in their review on NEWEGG:

Pros: -Large screen
-Spoken street names
-Suction cup mount is nice (but see con's)
-I like the GUI better than some of the other major brands

Cons: -Windshield mount is easy to attach to the windshield, but getting the unit in the mount is overly difficult
-Takes FOREVER to find the satellites when first turned on
-No battery low warning, it just shut itself off in the middle of NYC!
-Worst con of all...if you are driving on a highway with EZPass lanes at toll booths that are "at speed" lanes (meaning you can drive through at 65mph) TomTom thinks this is the fastest way to go so it tells you to get in that lane (even if you don't have EZPass). I got a ticket in NJ because of this. WATCH OUT!

Other Thoughts: I got this for my wife for Christmas and we love it. But the three things I would warn people about are the somewhat difficult windshield mount, the lack of low battery warning and the EZPass "bug" (I might actually email TomTom about this).

The unit, all TT units for that matter, are meant to be used with the car charger. That's why it is provided.

IWhile the EasyPort mount is really good, I agree with you totally that the unit has to be carefully 'clicked' the entire perimeter of the ring to join it to the mount.

Good point about the Lane. The combination of IQ routing and a menu preference to avoid HOV lanes being missing in the EasyMenu just don't mix.

Finally my XL350TM arrived yesterday. I took back-up and updated maps. Thanks to Parider for opening the secret door to Demo mode. Appreciate help on couple of things:
1. I found a long list of new POI's but it seems we need to select each list item for update. Do we have a way to select all new POI's grouped for a State (or country) in one go and click update?
2. While using the GPS unit to find subway near my home the following navigation fails to work: Point of interest --> POI near you --> Search POI.
However each time, I have to select the category of POI's (Restaurants) for it to work. What's the use of 'Search POI' which always returns 'No POI found!' for any search?

The Search button works as follows. Type in part of a name of a poi you are looking for and all pois in the database with that string will appear, sorted by distance from the criteria you set.

For example: POI -->near me -->Search-->type in 'radio' and all pois with 'radio' will appear (all Radio Shacks, etc.)

The distance is as the crow flies, NOT driving distance.

My XL335Tm will flash a low battery symbol on the screen.

Does the new EasyMenut not show turn-by-turn text by selecting one of the areas on the status bar?

Ask a Question