New 720 owner question

Lots of research and lots of reading all the advice here led me to purchase the TomTom 720. I did so knowing that my Sprint Razr2 phone may not sync with the unit but with a return policy that said I could try it and return it if it didn't work, I thought I would give it a go.

I got the unit to sync with the phone but can't get the data part to work. I'll figure that out later. What I can't figure out how to fix is that whenever I pull up a POI and want to call it, TomTom automatically inserts a 0111 in front of the actual phone number (on the phone). I'm assuming this has something to do with TomTom being a European company and it is placing the US country code in front of the number to be called. The phone number on the TomTom unit show up as a +1 and then the number. I called TomTom who told me there was nothing that could be done and that I would have to manually edit each POI that I wanted to call. This is not an acceptable "fix" and I've got to believe that this is something that can be fixed.

Looking for some help. Thanks in advance.

Mark W

Last edited:
I too had (have) the same problem beginning a couple weeks ago when I purchased my TT 720. After searching this site on dial, call 1+(and combinations thereof, there are many threads discussing the problem.

Unless there are some threads I missed, it seems as though there is no immediate answer to the problem. Essentially, TomTom is presently set for the dialling pattern used in the European market and our needs are on TomTom's back burner, if at all.

I would suggest searching on these or any other criteria you can think of to give you specifics. If you see something I have missed or if anyone else knows of a fix, I will be watching this and other threads.

Talked with TomTom

I called TomTom and they told me there was nothign that could be done. Since TomTom is European, it automatically places the 0111 in front of any calls as it assumes you are calling the US POI's from Europe somewhere. This does not make sense - are they correct.

TomTom said that I could manually call the palces after lloking them up on the POI database. Kind of defeats the purpose of heands free doesn't it.

Is that what all you do to place a POI call, manually dial it?

Mark W

Ask a Question