My Trip to Canada

Ok, since no one posted on here yet, I suppose I will post my experience with my TT510 on my trip to canada a few weeks back. I didnt drive to canada from San Diego, but I did take the TT with me on the plane as a carryon with my laptop. I wanted to see if TT works in Canada as well as the streets in Cali. When I first got of the airport in Edmonton International Airport, I couldnt get it to work, I am thinking it must be something to do with the signal jammers near the airport or something. So I waited untill we got to the hotel. I turned on the unit and waited almost 25 minutes without a signal, by now, I am worried that I broke the TT either taking it thru X-rays or having ti under the seats and whatnot. So I decided to just do a soft-reset, and withing 2mins of doing the soft-reset my TT came to life with full signals from 4 6 different satelites. Then I took the TT out and used it to get to my friends house, and it was actually very accurate considering the roads in Canada are a bit different from us here in the US. It basically was able to tell me way ahead of time on what I needed to do which was definitely very helpful in Canada if you havent driven in Canada before imo. So I got to my friends house and he was impressed that I was able to get there around the time that I told him I would arrive in, since my TT510 gave me the estimated arrival option. So I told him about my TT, and to my surprise he have never even heard of a TT, so I had to go ahead and show him my TT and did what all good friends would do let him use it taking me and my wife out to dinner in his car. My friend was so amazed at how quickly it figured out alternate routes that he is deciding to go and purchase one himself in Canada. Overall the TomTom performed flawlessly in Canada, but I dont have any POIs for it while I was up there, hopefully someone can put in some POIs for canada later. I am thinking that eventually there will be more and more Canadian users as TT becomes available to them.:D

That's great the 510 was able to cross over that effortlessly... have you owned other models besides the 510 and if so, what were the differences and features that you like about the 510? I know that the SiRF chipset is supposed to be great!

No, my TT510 was my first TomTom, I love the 3D maps along with all the custom POIs I gotten from this site added on it, its makes my TT really cool imo, I love the bluetooth handsfree option, only complain I have is PLUS service dont work with my Treo700p phone, if they would get the newer phones add fixed for GPRS for TTPlus that would be the icing on this great unit. So far I love my TT510 and have no problems with it, so i really didnt understand why on circuit city's reviews so many people were complaining that it wont boot up and such, I have no problems and if only they knew where the reset button was I think they would be a much better camper.

if only they knew where the reset button was I think they would be a much better camper.
You are very right. In the Norwegian TomTom forum I and other people have helpet at least 50 people by telling them to do a reset and also tell them how to do it (people don't read manuals). It solves the problem for 99% of the people:)

But you did not have any problems with the Canada maps? On my trip this summer I drove more than 5000miles in the US and Canada (AB and BC). I found a lot of errors in the Canada maps, the US maps had a much better quality.

But you did not have any problems with the Canada maps? On my trip this summer I drove more than 5000miles in the US and Canada (AB and BC). I found a lot of errors in the Canada maps, the US maps had a much better quality.

Well, I was in Edmonton, AB, I had no problems navigating around town since there really isnt much to do there except going to West Edmonton Mall :D and other little malls and such. But I did have problems finding my brother-in-laws new house, but he just purchase that house 3 months ago and its in a hugh new community, so the streets werent on the maps and I had to basically call him up near the area and have him bring me to his house. He told me that Edmonton has been developing hugh on housing during the last 2 years, so I dont think that was really TomTom's fault its just the fault of progression and housing developments hehe. Next time I do go back to Canada which is probably next year, and hopefully by then we will have Canadian POIs on this site for me to download and test out.

Well, I was in Edmonton, AB, I had no problems navigating around town since there really isnt much to do there except going to West Edmonton Mall :D and other little malls and such. But I did have problems finding my brother-in-laws new house, but he just purchase that house 3 months ago and its in a hugh new community, so the streets werent on the maps and I had to basically call him up near the area and have him bring me to his house. He told me that Edmonton has been developing hugh on housing during the last 2 years, so I dont think that was really TomTom's fault its just the fault of progression and housing developments hehe. Next time I do go back to Canada which is probably next year, and hopefully by then we will have Canadian POIs on this site for me to download and test out.

TomTom is not fully responsible for the maps, that is for TeleAtlas ;)
Besides that, you also have Navteq, Digital Globe and Europa Technologies and these also supply for Google Earth.

I think it's also more of a questions what cities in Canada supply map data or gps data.

Anyway, they are busy with things, if you look at Google Earth you sort of can check it.
A few weeks ago the Netherlands was updated with hi res photos, if you look now you can clearly see it, we estimate these to be 2nd week of September 2005.

Tom Tom 910 in Juneau AK

Using my 910 in Juneau, AK, the unit went haywire. Spinning around, jumping to parallel roads, even with 4, 5 or 6 satellites. Any one have any ideas. Folks at Tom Tom had no idea.
Any ideas?

Nice to know that it works in Edmonton esp. considering Edmonton wasn't on the map 3 years ago on mapping softwares. (I know cause I read a review of a 2003 Murano SE AWD w/ nav by an Edmonton auto journalist and he said all the screen showed was an arrow in a beige background lol.)

Nice to know that it works in Edmonton esp. considering Edmonton wasn't on the map 3 years ago on mapping softwares. (I know cause I read a review of a 2003 Murano SE AWD w/ nav by an Edmonton auto journalist and he said all the screen showed was an arrow in a beige background lol.)

I wonder what would happen if he asks for directions to go home.... :D does it give him directions to drive straight and cut across the beige background hehe

I was browsing Edmonton the other day and couldn't find West Edmonton Mall under POI search. I've tried "any POI category" and "shopping centre". Don't tell me TeleAtlas did leave out West Edmonton Mall in their maps! They have Edmonton City Centre, however.

Edmonton Mall

Hi,
No the mall is there! try this: go to page 2 of 3 click browse map,tap blue dot,tap find poi nearby,tap any poi catagory,tap within ......,
write West Edmonton Mall , tap done! that goes for anyone who is looking for something.....

George

Hi,
No the mall is there! try this: go to page 2 of 3 click browse map,tap blue dot,tap find poi nearby,tap any poi catagory,tap within ......,
write West Edmonton Mall , tap done! that goes for anyone who is looking for something.....

George
Nope.. no luck.

All it gives me is West edmonton mall police station... the mall isn't there. I'm using map version 6.60.1215

Edmonton Mall

Hello again,
Funny my map version on my tomtom 510 bought in July '06 is
V650.1072 apparently an earlier version than your (?) I tried it again and it worked! What model tomtom do you have ?

George

Hello again,
Funny my map version on my tomtom 510 bought in July '06 is
V650.1072 apparently an earlier version than your (?) I tried it again and it worked! What model tomtom do you have ?

George
I know eh? I hope this isn't the case similar to what the Europeans are experiencing - removal of items in the newer versions to keep the file size < 1GB.

I have the TomTom ONE bought in late November. There is only one other person on this forum that has the same map version as I do. Hopefully he/she can chime in and check if he/she can find West Ed. Mall.

Hmm.. now my local art gallery isn't on the POI listing either. The gallery store is but not the art gallery itself. What gives? Also, it told me to go up one-way streets in downtown that have been one-way for as long as I can remember.

I've heard that on the 660.1215 map version, there is no longer a "shops" POI category, but a "shopping center". So alot of the POI that fell under "shops" are no longer available? Doesn't make much sense. Here's hoping the new map version includes them again!

Yeah, it's called "Shopping Centre" now... still, West Edmonton Mall isn't listed. I guess they forgot to transfer some of the stores that used to be listed.

Speaking of Canada, does anyone know where Great Falls, MT is located, and how far of a drive it is into Canada? Just curious, one of my upcoming assignments is in Great Falls.

Ask a Question