My roadtrip to Florida

TomTom Model(s)
One
Well I finally went on my roadtrip from Toronto to Florida with my TTone. I loaded in my custom itin, which took a few cracks to get it right, but once I figured out how to go about it, it was pretty easy. Here are my thoughts on having a GPS unit for trips like this.

Good
1) Overall, awesome to have one, easy to use, portable.
2) I loved being able to sleep in the car when my wife drove since the TTOne helped her navigate (exits approaching/change of highway etc)
3) The ability to look ahead to see where the road turns, which is good to have at night, in construction zones, heavy traffic, rain, pretty much any areas that you have to drive into where you do now know the road and have to make quick decisions on which lane or how fast you should be going.
4) Finding local restaurants, POI's, makes going to them a snap, no need to remember how to get back to the hotel, you probably add 3 hours to your vacation over a week not having to break out maps and asking directions.

Needs Improvement
1) I wish there were a feature to reverse your custom itin, I had to manually plot a reverse course when I left florida to come home.
2) I had to break my trip into 2 custom itins? Is this just a memory thing?
3) I wish the TTOne would tell you which side of the road you are looking for POI's, this was especially evident when looking for restaurants in FL, it just ended in the middle of the road.
4) It would be nice if the POI's could list their phone numbers or addresses. Sometimes there were multiple listing for Stores ie. Target, but I didnt know which one it was referring to.

One thing I figured out about the TTone is that it basically wants to always figure out where you are... and then plot a course to where you want to go. Maybe I don't know how to do it, but I wish I could just turn off the GPS function and use the TTone as a map. Lets say I am at point A, but I want to see how to get from point B to point C. When I turn the unit on, it basically wants to tell me how to get from point A to C. Is there a way to do this?

Thats basically it. we really loved having it, I think pretty much every other car I saw on the road has a unit nowadays.

On another note, I did do some geocaching down there and the ability to enter lat. and long. was awesome!!!

1) I wish there were a feature to reverse your custom itin, I had to manually plot a reverse course when I left florida to come home.

Just like 46jimbo suggested, use the the reverse itinerary program. It's great.

2) I had to break my trip into 2 custom itins? Is this just a memory thing?

I believe the itins have a maximum of 48 waypoints. I haven't tested this out though.

3) I wish the TTOne would tell you which side of the road you are looking for POI's, this was especially evident when looking for restaurants in FL, it just ended in the middle of the road.

This is usually a hit or miss. When you enter in addresses, it usually has an arrow pointing to which side of the road. When you choose a POI it ends in the center.

4) It would be nice if the POI's could list their phone numbers or addresses. Sometimes there were multiple listing for Stores ie. Target, but I didnt know which one it was referring to.

I wish it did too. The only way to display phone numbers and addresses, that I know of, is by going to the browse map function. For custom POI's, the creater needs to enter that information as a description.

Lets say I am at point A, but I want to see how to get from point B to point C. When I turn the unit on, it basically wants to tell me how to get from point A to C. Is there a way to do this?

Use Advanced Planning to calculate from chosen starting point (doesn't have to be where you are) to a chosen end point.

Ask a Question