Florida New User: Go 720

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hello all, I am new and hope I made the right choice, my Go 720 is supposed to be here tomorrow. Looking forward in my new gadget. I am sure I will have lots of questions. :) I did read on some reviews that I should not update the firmware when I get the unit. Is this true.

Thanks

OLd-Man

Not necessarily true. First of all, welcome.

When you get your unit, after charging it for 4 hours, use Explorer to make a full backup of the unit's contents. (Not Home, the software that comes with the unit). Ensure hidden files, folders are showing when you make the backup.

Now then, your firmware and map will be out of date, of course (you can tap the satellite bars on the unit and the next screen shows the firmware version. Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map version and build that's installed.

You ARE entitled to the latest map (North America 8.15) BUT, to be able to get that map, you MUST update your firmware to version 8.3 (It's buggy in parts but ....) So, you start Home with the unit connected. It should 'see' the firmware you have is out of date and offer to update it. Accept and let it dl and install the updated firmware.

The updated firmware may, or may not, be 8.3 which got downloaded. If it is not, MAKE ANOTHER EXPLORER BACKUP (to a different folder), and again go through the process of getting Home to dl an updated firmware to 8.3.

Once that is installed, your next task is to get the latest map (you have 30 days for the Latest Map guarantee). So, go to Home's menu of Tools-->Latest Map Guarantee. One of two things will happen. Either it'll work or it won't :eek: (Home's LMG is flakey most of the time).

If it works and offers map 8.15, accept, let it dl and install and go have a long nap or something cuz it may take hours. After the installation .... you got it ..... ANOTHER FULL BACKUP.

If it doesn't work (saying you have the latest maps) then you have to call (don't email) Support (number is 866-486-6866) and be prepared to send a scan, fax or photo of your sales receipt to them. They'll add the map to your account for dl.

Any problems? ........come here for help. Lots of good people here.

Thank you so much for your help. I am so lost with this, I never owed a GPS before and I don't want to mess it up. I am so glade I found these forums, it looks like a lot of great people here who know what there doing. Not like me.

Welcome again
I had sent you a private e-mail with a link to th uk site as well, both of these sites have a lot of information on them and a lot of good people and by the way we were all in yor shoes at on time :p

I had brought to the attintion of dhn the fact that you post had somehow been locked at like usual he fixed it.
What dhn dosn't know about TT isn't worth mentioning:)

Thanks a lot for your e-mail, I did get it and did send back to you a responce. Thanks a lot for the link I did read it and allready did what I had to do with explorer. My unit is supposed to be in today, but if not tomorrow. Thanks again for all our help.

Now I am going to get yelled at because what I did. I bought my GPS from amazon.com and got a refurbished unit for 159.00 with the same warranty as a new one. Was this a bad thing to do and should I send it back when I received it, and look into something better then the 720. Will be used for camping trips around Fl. and sometimes to head up north, like NY, Virgina, Tenn. and Giorgia.

It should be fine just not sure if you will get a free map update but other than that it should be good ,, The 720 is a good unit and you will find more people on her with the 720 than any other model I think.

Ask a Question