MP3s not playing

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I am trying to play MP3s through Jukebox, and am getting nothing. I see them, the playlists etc., but no sound. Otherwise, the sound works great, through the speakers or through the FM transmitter.
Any ideas?
Andy

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9m; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

Sounds like the MP3 was created with a codec the TT doesn't support. I use Realplayer to rip my CDs and have no problems.

Alternately, do you have anything plugged into Line Out? If you do, make sure your external device is working correctly. If not, try plugging some headphones into it and see what happens. If headphones work, try the flash clearing tool.

Along with cputrdoc's suggestion make sure that the audio for the music are routed to the internal speakers. The settings are in Change Preference->Speaker Preference.
If the audio is routed to transmit via the FM or the other options the music might not be heard in the internal speaker.

Thanks for the feedback.
When I try playing a song, I get an error message that says "An error occurred during audio playback".
The songs are all on an 8G memory card, and they show up fine within Jukebox. There is nothing plugged in, and the speakers are set to internal.

Andy

Thanks for the feedback.
When I try playing a song, I get an error message that says "An error occurred during audio playback".
The songs are all on an 8G memory card, and they show up fine within Jukebox. There is nothing plugged in, and the speakers are set to internal.

Andy

Andy, the good news is I know what MAY be the problem. The bad news is that I don't have the unit with me so can't give you feedback for about 4-5 hours (unless you get the problem resolved before that).

I do know I've seen the error message and it was resolved by restoring a file from a backup to a folder on the unit. But the specifics elude me for the moment...old age :(

======================
Use Explorer and look at the contents of your bin folder on the unit. It should contain a file (amongst others) called 'demoplayer.sh' (no quotes). If you don't see the file, copy from a backup. That may resolve the problem.

If you DO have that file, are these also present? 1) mp3d 2) mplayer 3) obexftpd and 4) syncml ?

Last edited:
I am looking at the root level of the TomTom, and don't see any of the files you mentioned, (or a bin folder, for that matter!). I must be doing something wrong here.
Andy

I would place some mp3 files in your internal drive.
What folders/files do you have in your SD card?

Andy, the good news is I know what MAY be the problem. The bad news is that I don't have the unit with me so can't give you feedback for about 4-5 hours (unless you get the problem resolved before that).

I do know I've seen the error message and it was resolved by restoring a file from a backup to a folder on the unit. But the specifics elude me for the moment...old age :(

======================
Use Explorer and look at the contents of your bin folder on the unit. It should contain a file (amongst others) called 'demoplayer.sh' (no quotes). If you don't see the file, copy from a backup. That may resolve the problem.

If you DO have that file, are these also present? 1) mp3d 2) mplayer 3) obexftpd and 4) syncml ?

I am having the same problem since upgrade to Ver 8. I have looked in the bin file I have demoplayer.sh, mplayer. and that is all.
The mp 3 files are all in the MP3 file on the root. Any help would be great........

Do you have a backup from a previous firmware version? If so, see if the missing files are there. If so, copy them to the bin folder on the unit.

Also, I assume the 'mp3' folder (no quotes) is ALL lower case?

Finally, (my favourite suggestion ... :rolleyes: ) Try a pin reset.

Do you have a backup from a previous firmware version? If so, see if the missing files are there. If so, copy them to the bin folder on the unit.

Also, I assume the 'mp3' folder (no quotes) is ALL lower case?

Finally, (my favorite suggestion ... :rolleyes: ) Try a pin reset.

I don't have an old back up. I have reset a few times because after it would give me the error reading it would go into a Startup screen, then a TOMTOM screen, then a different startup loop, the only way to stop was reset.....
Today it stopped looping but everything else is the same.

I just looked at the contents of my bin folder again. The 3 files you seem to be missing seem to have the same date as my 8.010 firmware update in September. You said you updated to that firmware version. Therefore, you WILL have that (compressed) cab file, probably located in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\(yourname)\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\program

If it's there, use winrar or unzip or whatever tool you have to see and extract the files that belong in the bin folder (I checked and your missing files are there). Copy the missing 3 files into the bin folder on your unit.

I just looked at the contents of my bin folder again. The 3 files you seem to be missing seem to have the same date as my 8.010 firmware update in September. You said you updated to that firmware version. Therefore, you WILL have that (compressed) cab file, probably located in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\(yourname)\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\program

If it's there, use winrar or unzip or whatever tool you have to see and extract the files that belong in the bin folder (I checked and your missing files are there). Copy the missing 3 files into the bin folder on your unit.

You are THE MAN. I found the three files and put them in bin and waalaa.
Thank you so much....:D :D

Jim

You are welcome.

Now........make a full backup of your unit using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

The file structure, starting with Media in the root, should appear as below. Before we just pump off a copy of mplayer, be sure nothing else appears to be missing. There's 'mplayer' referenced in one spot, and then support files again elsewhere.

Media
... bin
...... AutoStart.sh
...... CreatMountingPoints.sh
...... gdbinit.txt
...... hidd
...... InitProgress.sh
...... InputManagerD
...... localization.dat
...... MCInit.sh
...... MCRst
...... MediaCenter.sh
...... mplayer
...... PDFRenderer
...... PDFRenderer.sh
...... psplash
...... psplash-write
...... RunMP3Playlist.sh
...... RunReboot.sh
...... RunTTN.sh
...... StartGame.sh
...... StopTasks.sh
...... ts_calibrate
... etc
...... mplayer
......... skinX00
............ skin
............... (lots of files)
......... skinX10
............ skin
............... (lots of files)
......... demo.mp3
......... mplayer.conf
......... mplayer.ver
......... options
......... ts.conf
......... ts_menu.bmp
......... ts_menu_tomtom.bmp
... lib
...... modules
......... 2.6.13-tt3024
............ sd_mod.ko
............ usb-storage.ko
......... 2.6.13-tt164445
............ sd_mod.ko
......... 2.6.13-tt190943
............ sd_mod.ko
......... 2.6.13-tt232962
............ sd_mod.ko
......... 2.6.13-tt244890
............ sd_mod.ko
...... ts
...... libSDL-1.2.so.0
...... libts-0.0.so.0

You do know that you are replying to a 6-1/2 year old post.
Can you imagine that this new poster still has the same problem???

Send him the whole Media folder? Probably easier, yeah.

Ask a Question