MP3s to Play in Stereo in Car FM Radio??

edr

TomTom Model(s)
GO920
Hi Guys and Gals,

Just got my 920 last Thursday and I LOVE IT!

Just found this forum this morning and I learned a few things like how to find MP3s on the SD card and 16G SDHC card compatibility. YES!!! and Thanks!

One thing I wasn't able to find an answer to was how to improve the sound quality of the MP3s to my car FM radio. They sound thin (even if I rip the MP3s lossless at its least amount of compression) and seem to only play in mono. If I listen to these same MP3s through the 920 with my bluetooth high quality audio stereo headsets, they are in stereo and the sound quality is good. Is this a limitation with the 920 FM transmitter or is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Ed

Try to change to different radio frequency, but overall, the sound quality play in car FM radio is not as good. I live in OC/LA area and so far found radio frequency 104.7 is pretty good.

Thanks LacViet and Pedro2NR, I'll try out 104.7 and 107.3. I was driving from LA through OC to SD on the 405 and 5.

Silly me, the reason why I was probably getting thin mono sound was because my 920 wasn't transmitting a strong enough FM signal to my rear windshield integrated FM antenna. So in order to pull the weak signal in, my radio reverted to mono. I changed to another FM frequency and repositioned my 920 and the sound was much improved and in stereo.

Thanks for your help.

On another note, UPS indicates that I should be getting the 16GB SDHC card I ordered from Newegg tomorrow that I ordered on sale yesterday for $74.99 with free shipping. I should be able to put a fraction of my MP3 library on it to enjoy on my 920 in the rental car I am renting in Orlando, FL next week. Yeah, this 920 rocks!

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Oh, one other note, you need to put the volume of tomtom to max 100% to get strongest FM signal and adjust music volume through car volume, if you haven't do that already.

Ask a Question