MP3 / FM transmitter questions

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
Hi, folks. I'm new to Go720, and would like to address a couple of issues prior to a business trip I embark on tomorrow.

First,
nm.... I figured out my bluetooth issue. Phone must have been balky

Second,
(how) can I use a non-ipod mp3 player with the TT's FM transmitter? I am not worried about controlling the player via TT, but really don't want to carry redundant electronics gear on the plane.

Third,
if all else fails, what is the largest capacity SD card that the TT will recognize?

Thanks in advance!

I have not tried using my Creative player with the tomtom. I have attached my car's system via an aux cable and played tunes that way. I tried the fm and too much static for my tastes.

Tomtom recommends an SD card no larger than 4 gigs.

I have been using with some success an 8 gig but it does appear to have issues with certain aspects of the TT. I speculate that it may be when the TT attempts to write to the card as it does for some housekeeping functions such as creating photo thumbnail files or POS files (position in files?)

I've read of folks using a 16 gig but that is new.

Again, for reading mp3, it seems to have no problems with the larger cards.

Enjoy

Second,
(how) can I use a non-ipod mp3 player with the TT's FM transmitter? I am not worried about controlling the player via TT, but really don't want to carry redundant electronics gear on the plane.
EDIT:

No can do, as it happens, and now that I understand what they've done, I'm a real unhappy camper.

TT has made no provision for ANY audio device apart from an iPod connected through the TT's USB connector for audio input. That means that there is NO way to multiplex another "standard" audio unit with the TT to use the FM or line-out, and of course, you can't use one of the other FM modulators on the market on the same FM channel.

TT needs to supply a standard 1/8" audio input plug and manage the audio there against their instructions to either FM out or line out.

Current design is a real problem. In short, if you want to do music on your car stereo in addition to using your TT, you'd better use the internal TT MP3 player ability, or own an iPod...

Last edited:

Ask a Question