Mounted TomTom920 shuts down

I bought a Proclip mount for my 920T. It turned out real nice but when the device is in the cradle after a few minutes the unit says it is shutting down in 10 seconds and counts down. It thinks it is connected to a computer I think. Is there a way to prevent this from happening. I have it set to always on in the preferences.;)

I bought a Proclip mount for my 920T. It turned out real nice but when the device is in the cradle after a few minutes the unit says it is shutting down in 10 seconds and counts down. It thinks it is connected to a computer I think. Is there a way to prevent this from happening. I have it set to always on in the preferences.;)

I've had the same problem a few times in my vehicle. What I do when this happens is turn on the unit before I plug the mount power adapter into the car power outlet. This way there is no power applied to the cradle and the unit does not think it is hooked up to a computer. It does not happen often, but when it does this seems to work.

I've had the same problem a few times in my vehicle. What I do when this happens is turn on the unit before I plug the mount power adapter into the car power outlet. This way there is no power applied to the cradle and the unit does not think it is hooked up to a computer. It does not happen often, but when it does this seems to work.

I have tried this, but as soon as the power source is applied, it asks if I am connecting to a computer... and then the shut down ensues a few minutes later.

This is a pretty serious bug. I mean, it shuts down right in the middle of navigating!

Last edited:
There has to be something different between power being supplied via the TT DC adapter and power from the computer, I suspect it's either the voltage or something on the data pins, since I never see this using the supplied DC adapter. Proclip will have to fix their DC adapter not TT changing the way they accept the power.

There has to be something different between power being supplied via the TT DC adapter and power from the computer, I suspect it's either the voltage or something on the data pins, since I never see this using the supplied DC adapter. Proclip will have to fix their DC adapter not TT changing the way they accept the power.

This happens with not only the car charger, but TomTom's PC cradle. This has happened with two 920 units I've bought.

TomTom has a problem here (and have had one for months now).

920 Shut Down

Just happened to me this morning, with the 920 in the PC Cradle. First time I've expereinced it. Time for a reset I guess.

Andy,

If you put it in the PC cradle and say no to the request to connect to the PC, it will start a shutdown sequence some minutes later. This is normal and expected.

Andy,

If you put it in the PC cradle and say no to the request to connect to the PC, it will start a shutdown sequence some minutes later. This is normal and expected.

The shutdown occurs also when connected to a car adapter, right in the middle of navigation.

This is a serious flaw which Tech Support wants to blame on the car adapter. But I told them it happens in the dock as well, and this is my second unit to do it. They have no solution at this point but to return it to the store.

But how long do they expect that to go on?

Same issue for 930T

Hi, I am really glad I found this thread, I'm new to the forums so I'm sorry to rehash an old thread but I didn't know if it's appropriate to start a new one of the same thread.
I just bought a TomTom 930T and love it however when I sit it on the cradle and plug it into my Mac and refuse the option to connect to computer it will shut down in about 3 minutes.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this however my 930 has a built-in MP3 player and picture viewer and it would be nice to use the TomTom for those features while sitting at my desk working and to keep it charged but I can't without the TomTom shutting down within minutes.
It's alarming because I use my 930T to make calls through my cell while at home and it auto powers down during phone calls.

These functions are not available if you accept the connection to the computer. I've called TomTom and asked them to try out their own unit and they claimed that it didn't happen to them. I think they are lying and covering up for an issue with the cradle that they haven't fixed.

Anyone have a recent feedback? Any help appreciated.

I brought this up a few months back when i first got my 920.

It is by design.

If you do not let it connect to the pc, it thinks it is charging, and shuts the screen off to aid faster charging.

The only resolution i could think of would be to get a USB cable, and have the data pins removed, that should do the trick......I am yet to try this though.

Unless TomTom wants to do an update which gives us an option to turn this feature off, that would be even better.

CHeers,

I brought this up a few months back when i first got my 920.

It is by design.

If you do not let it connect to the pc, it thinks it is charging, and shuts the screen off to aid faster charging.

The only resolution i could think of would be to get a USB cable, and have the data pins removed, that should do the trick......I am yet to try this though.

Unless TomTom wants to do an update which gives us an option to turn this feature off, that would be even better.

CHeers,

Thanks for the help and I just read the owners manual for the 930 and it confirmed exactly what you said. It mentions if you select NO when it asks to connect to the PC it will shut down after 3 minutes in order to charge the battery faster unless you tap the screen.
Now we know TomTom will not offer a fix since it's designed this way but I am now more disappointed that TomTom's customer service knows nothing about this and mentioned to me that their unit did not do this. Great product, mediocre customer service.

Ask a Question