TomTom One mounted and hardwired in my 07 VW GTI

TomTom One mounted and hardwired in my 07 VW GTI(Updated with pictures!)

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine and myself took about 10 mins and hardwired my One into my 07 GTI. I am not a friend of having wires running throughout my car. One of the first things I installed on my car when I bought it was my Valentine V1 radar detector and I hardwired that in and ran the wire through the roof and down the a pillar to the fuse box.

So yesterday we bought a 12v power plug adapter from walmart that basically allows the TomTom car power adapter to plug into and then have a positive and negative wire that comes from it. The kit comes with the adapter, the wires, and some splicing clamps and costs 3.94$ at walmart. It basically looks like the plug on the left of the following picture, accept it has both positive and negative wires coming from it...

6447-423s1cig_cl.jpg

So what we did next was run the wire down my A pillar and into the fuse box along with my radar detector hardwiring lines and I used the splicing clamps to splice my TomTom's power lines in with the radar detector lines.

So now I have a hardwired mounted TomTom in the upper left hand corner of my windshield with minimal wires being exposed.

OH, I didn't use the power adapter that came with the TomTom because it had a right hand turn in the wire that would have made the power line go up and around it instead of directly towards the A pillar, so I used an old Motorolla phone USB charger that I had laying around.

-Cameron

Pictures:

The Car:

DSCF3929.jpg

DSCF3928.jpg

The Install

DSCF3922.jpg

DSCF3923.jpg

DSCF3925.jpg

DSCF3927.jpg

Lemme know if there are any questions!

Last edited:
looks great,how ever, hardwired would be a straight wire from the tomtom to the power supply eliminating the cig. plug all together, you use a inline fuse between the unit and where it is connected to power source for safety, if there is a short it blows the fuse and saves your electronic device. My sirius receiver is hardwired in the above fashion, it is the safest way to go,fuses are cheap,GPS's aren't

Some cig plug adapters have built in fuses, use that type if modifying like in the bug....

WOW, I to am a v dub lover and that is one hot GTI. I also like how you hard wired the GPS. I want to do something similar in my MK4 Jetta. what fuse did you tap into??

on the MKIV and most likely the MKV cars there is a better spot to pull power

Under the kick panel there are three threaded posts - Ground - Always Hot - Switched

Run your adapter from there (switched) and you can get a good clean install with out cluttering up your fuse box and have it power down when you turn your car off.

on the MKIV and most likely the MKV cars there is a better spot to pull power

Under the kick panel there are three threaded posts - Ground - Always Hot - Switched

Run your adapter from there (switched) and you can get a good clean install with out cluttering up your fuse box and have it power down when you turn your car off.

To add to your thread:

1. The car is hot looking.

2. You should look at one of these to tap into a fuse next time...
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Mini-Fuse-Add-A-Circuit_p_27-65.html

I installed one onto my motorcycle to hardwire the Rider 2 and they work great. That way you can chose to have either a switched or always hot connection and no splicing or over powering fuses.

Ask a Question