more and more issues

I bought my TomTom One 3rd edition refurbished from buy.com. Ever since I bought it when I calculate a route from my home to work and from work to home on the route when I get to the same spot it freezes and reboots and clears out all of my settings. this has gotten tiresome.
last night I plugged it into the computer and updated TomTom Home to the new version and then updated my unit. I now have the newest updates, my menus and such are slightly different, but now I get another error that says "unable to store stttiongs. File access error"
also when I calculate the route from home to work it wont do it says "error durring planning" im using the shortest route setting as my commute is only 54 miles this way.
I feel like I'm going in reverse here.
any advice?
thanks

Try the following and please do NOT skip any steps:

1) If you have previously made a backup of your TomTom, it should be located in the following folder in windows:
C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\GO\Backup01\InternalMemory

If you haven't made a backup before, create a backup now using TomTom HOME.

2) Once you have a backup, copy the ENTIRE /InternalMemory folder into another folder of your choosing for safekeeping

3) Once you have safely backed up the /InternalMemory folder, create a backup of your current configuration using TomTom Home.....this will overwrite the data that is currently in the /InternalMemory folder

4) Once you have moved the original backup and created a new backup, delete EVERY file from your TomTom so that it is totally empty

5) Once you have totally cleared out your TomTom, download and run the ClearFlash Tool from TomTom:
>>> ClearFlash Tool <<<

6) Once the clearflash tool has run, I want you to totally exit the TomTom HOME application (by right clicking on the lower right hand icon in your Start Menu bar shortcut area and click EXIT).

7) Once you've exited the HOME program, restart it. HOME will find your TomTom and it should recognize that you do not have anything on it and it should ask you to download the TomTom Application....if it does, install the TomTom Application (which is the operating system or firmware for your TomTom).

If it doesn't ask, go to the main page of TomTom HOME and click on UPDATE MY DEVICE.......this should force it to look for applications.

8) Once you've installed the TomTom Application, then go to FILE --> USE LATEST MAP GUARANTEE to get your USA_And_Canada map and your Guam map.

This should get you back to a completely clean environment as if you just bought the device.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
ok so I did everything. got to the point where i needed to go to use latest map guarantee and it comes up and says maps that came with device are the most current. thats it.

ok so I did everything. got to the point where i needed to go to use latest map guarantee and it comes up and says maps that came with device are the most current. thats it.

If you browse your TomTom, do you have a /USA_and_Canada or /Guam folder?

If NOT, then TomTom home is looking at previous updates to the maps that are stored in the
C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\map directory.

That's fine.

Simply use TomTom HOME to install these maps that are on your PC:
a) Click on ADD MAPS, TRAFFIC, VOICES, etc
b) Scroll to the page that has an icon that says ITEMS ON MY COMPUTER and click that
c) There should be a MAPS listing and you can click the + next to this and then add each map to your TomTom

Last edited:
Ok, well I tried everything, couldn't figure out how to get Tomtom home to put the maps on the device. but some of my problems are solved. still reboots at the 1 point in the route, but doesnt erase all the settings anymore so thats a little better and not as much of a pain. although when i try to route from home to work i get an error when routing the shortest distance.
Ill try the "fix" again when i get a chance.

thanks for the directions.

ok ive tried the directions again. everything goes fine until this step

8) Once you've installed the TomTom Application, then go to FILE --> USE LATEST MAP GUARANTEE to get your USA_And_Canada map and your Guam map.

there isnt anything there with the GUARANTEE it says something like my maps are up to date.

so i try looking here:

If NOT, then TomTom home is looking at previous updates to the maps that are stored in the

I have no map directory

therefore, nothing is here either

b) Scroll to the page that has an icon that says ITEMS ON MY COMPUTER and click that
c) There should be a MAPS listing and you can click the + next to this and then add each map to your TomTom

I have to end up putting the map back on manually from the copied folder by copying and pasting.

Then i get the same errors as before.

ok ive tried the directions again. everything goes fine until this step

there isnt anything there with the GUARANTEE it says something like my maps are up to date.

so i try looking here:

I have no map directory

therefore, nothing is here either

I have to end up putting the map back on manually from the copied folder by copying and pasting.

Then i get the same errors as before.

Have you tried DELETING the /Guam and /USA_and_canada directories from the TomTom and then re-try the Latest Map Guarantee?

Be sure you have a backup of these on your PC before you do this.

yes, I dont get anything in the "guarantte" section. It just tells me the maps that came with the device are up to date, even though theres no map on the device.

I have recently acquired a map from another source to try on my device. With this new map I have no problems at all, the device works flawlessly. There has to be some kind of flaw with the map that came with my device.

thanks for all your help.

I have recently acquired a map from another source to try on my device. With this new map I have no problems at all, the device works flawlessly. There has to be some kind of flaw with the map that came with my device.

Can you explain 'another source' please? Really curious.

Ask a Question