Microsoft Code 43

TomTom Model(s)
GO920T, XXL 540TM.
When I connect my GO 920T to my PC if get a system message that says, "USB not recognized" and it mentions Microsoft Code 43. I've not had any problems in the past and suspect that this started happening after I received some recent Windows 7 automatic updates from Microsoft. Does anyone know of any solutions?

Didn't Work

Gatorguy, unfortunately, it didn't work. Strangely, when I went to my control panel to try and update the driver it told me that I had the current driver. If it can find the driver, how the heck can't it let my GPS connect - another Microsoft OS marvel.

Best solution is to send a suitcase nuke to Redmond (sigh).

In Control Panel, do you see your TomTom USB device listed and without any cautionary triangles, Xs or whatever? (It will need to be plugged in and turned on before anything will appear).

Nah, I just get an "unknown device" message with a caution triangle beside it and the message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" . I just found out that my son has the same problem with his TomTom - Very frustrating.

Whenever I've had USB driver issues within WinXP, (I know you have Win7 but it should be about the same) I just delete or uninstall the driver and let the OS reinstall after it identifies the attached device. Almost always works for me. Good luck. Hope this helps you out of your problem.

spook45, any idea how I what the driver name is? I treid to find it but with no success. It's been many years since I last had to search for files.

Thanks dhn. Saved me a lot of typing and investigation. I could not have documented the process any better.

DHN, thanks for the link. I followed the instructions however, I had no joy. Does anypone know if MS is coming out with a fix? It appears that this started to show up about ten days ago when I got pone of my automatic updates from MS. I don't know if that was the cause or if the timing was just coincidence.

Gatorgur, cansderson and spook 45, your help is appreciated too.

We don't even know when TomTom will come out with software fixes, let alone worrying about anything MS will do ..........:eek:

My only suggestion is to puruse some MS forums to see if others are having a problem and what solutions, if any, have been found.

I would have to think Microsoft is getting a lot of pressure on this issue since it is the same driver that would manage a typical thumb drive - USB Mass Storage Device - and that would impact a LOT of users.

Reset the device, using a pen at the bottom end (refer to you manual).
Connect the TomTom device to the USB port.
Start the TomTom device.
This worked for my TomTom GO 930

Ask a Question