Latest upgrade disables external music volume control

Anyone else noticed that after the latest upgrade, the music is "stuck" on maximum volume and cannot be turned down? This means you get deafened when trying to listen on headphones.

I have complained to TomTom about this - maybe if others did it as well, they would listen.

Alan

I complained too. The answer I got was Tomtom never intended these units to be used as stand-alone players, only in cars so, they didn't see a use for allowing a volume control once a jack was inserted in the LINE-OUT plug. They insisted it was a LINE-OUT, not a headphone jack.

I tried getting them to understand it used to work so I considered they broke my device. I also stressed to them that nowhere on the box did it say anything but MP3 PLAYER and, any MP3 player is expected to work with headphones. There was no way to get them to understand.

The only thing they broke and later-on fixed was the FM instructions and the BlackBerry Bluetooth link with phone book transfer.

This sux! I just bought my first GPS and went with the GO 720. My primary objective is to integrate this unit into my motorcycle intercom system. Without line-out volume control I'm screwed; and to top that I bought this unit at Newegg with a "no refund" policy on "replacement" for 30 days.

@ "alan sh" do you know which software version you had that did allow volume control?

Last edited:
Niknine, you can easily fix something with a few resistors, a 3.5mm stereo extension cord and heat-srink tubing. It sucks since the level should be adjustable by default but it will do the trick.

Look at this: ESP - A Better Volume Control

What you need is the first diagram, doubled because the TomTom is stereo.

If you don't know how, any techie can probably help you.

Last edited:
This sux! I just bought my first GPS and went with the GO 720. My primary objective is to integrate this unit into my motorcycle intercom system. Without line-out volume control I'm screwed; and to top that I bought this unit at Newegg with a "no refund" policy on "replacement" for 30 days.

@ "alan sh" do you know which software version you had that did allow volume control?

I believe app 7.480 disabled the line out volume control. If you have map 725 or earlier, you can downgrade to app 7.221 by extracting this file with winrar onto your Tomtom (overwriting the Tomtom contents).

Or consider buying something like this.

Nice idea - but I shouldn't have to hack around with resistors etc to get functionality back that I had when I bought the unit.

TomTom have a report from me which has health and safety as the issue over this "upgrade". I am waiting to see what they come back with.

Alan

The frequent disabling of existing features is one of the most annoying issues with upgrades. When coupled with the bugginess of upgrades, it really makes me wonder what type of regression and user testing these upgrades undergo.

This is exactly why I regret upgrading my TT & Map. I have to use the Line out as my Audi Has the FM Antenna in the back winshield (Horrible reception for the TT as it picks up every possible radio station) and the stock stero does not have bluetooth.

With the volume maxed music sounds terrible through the car stero as it sounds like the TT is trying to over drive the music, and it gets very annoying.

Maybe the devices here will help. I haven't heard complaints of bluetooth audio being too high/distorted, but haven't tried it myself.

One thing that helped me with the line out level is to set the TomTom to use FM as the out put. In that mode the line-out still works, but the level is lower.

Volume control on line out.

FWIW, I can report that up to version 8.010, the lineout volume control still worked. the "feature" was introduced in Version 8.302.

Ask a Question