Is the RDS-TMC receiver worth it?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I'm thinking on buying an RDS-TMC receiver for my 720. A certain seller on ebay has quite a few of these in stock. I'm wondering if the auction I'm linking to is a good deal. It even says that it includes 1 year of traffic data. I called them and they confirmed that it does include a 1 year traffic subscription, and that if I had any problems to just return the unit.

I've read that bluetooth is the most reliable source of data when it comes to traffic information, but that's just not possible in my situation. T-mobile is pretty stingy when it comes to tethering data for any of my current phones I have.

Here in Tampa Florida, TomTom seems to include TONS of information/support. I guess I'm assuming this because of how well/updated the maps always are in my area, how excellent the Lane Guidance works here (it works EVERYWHERE here) and the IQ2 routes are great as well.

What is the source of data when it comes to RDS-TMC traffic? Is that TomTom's data I'll be receiving directly or is it some generic/local traffic information that my TomTom will receive/convert for my unit via the RDS-TMC receiver? And who broadcasts the signal? We have many radio stations here in Tampa that are within 10 minutes drive in any direction from my house (if that matters any)

Sorry for all the questions, and I thank you in advance.

Here's a link to the auction by the way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TomTom-RDS-TMC-...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

The RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver being offered on eBay might be a discontinued model since the only one listed on the TomTom site is a USB model.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=533&AccessoryCategory=7

I don't have any info about performance differences, but I just bought the USB model here in Northern New Jersey and the traffic info is provided by Clear Channel Broadcasting. I used it tonight coming home from work and it updated the traffic info every few minutes with what appeared to be accurate data. I'll be testing it out over the next several weeks to see how good it works.

Here is a link that provides further info about the TomTom traffic receiver and traffic data suppliers:

http://www.gpsreview.net/tomtom-rds-tmc-traffic-in-usa/

HTH,

DeliBaker

I have the non-USB receiver, and it works on 7xx and 9xx models.

I had used it and Plus Service Traffic (they both worked on my 910, but when I moved over to 920 - I found that TT had split the services). But it did work ok for one month (plugging it is apparently triggered a trial subscription).

The bluetooth reception coverage is much wider (anywhere your cell carrier has a strong enough signal). For that reason alone, I have come to prefer it.

The receiver data comes over clear channel FM radio, and only in major metro areas. If you get a receiver from eBay vendor, if it is legit - it will set up a one year subscription when you first plug it in. If it sets up a 30 day - it is used.

Question - what cell carrier do you use and what device(s) do you have ? And do you already have a date plan with them?

Last edited:
I have the non-USB receiver, and it works on 7xx and 9xx models.

I had used it and Plus Service Traffic (they both worked on my 910, but when I moved over to 920 - I found that TT had split the services). But it did work ok for one month (plugging it is apparently triggered a trial subscription).

The bluetooth reception coverage is much wider (anywhere your cell carrier has a strong enough signal). For that reason alone, I have come to prefer it.

The receiver data comes over clear channel FM radio, and only in major metro areas. If you get a receiver from eBay vendor, if it is legit - it will set up a one year subscription when you first plug it in. If it sets up a 30 day - it is used.

Question - what cell carrier do you use and what device(s) do you have ? And do you already have a date plan with them?

I use T-Mobile, and I have a Sidekick 2008 with unlimited data plan (data, emails, web, texts, pics, anything you can think of). T-Mobile FORBIDS any tethering with certain devices, especially a sidekick.

My Sister has a Blackberry Curve also with an unlimited data plan through T-Mobile and for the life of me, I couldn't get data services to connect even though I spent 3 days trying different connection settings, scripts, etc. I haven't tried installing any software on her phone yet though.

My uncle has a Blackberry 8820, with unlimited everything as well, and same deal, no luck. I'm not about to buy a compatible phone just for data services for the TomTom :) The ONLY way I can get data services to EVER work on my TomTom, is to plug it in to my PC, which is very useless hehe.

This is how I ever got it to work (which you; GAW, already know)

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=13810

I am surprised you are having so much trouble with TMo phones. I had a Nokia 6133 that would not until I went to HowardForums and found a way to make it look like a generic 6131 - then it worked.

This forum is is full of stuff on cell devices - has a whole section on TMo with sub-sections on brands. Often it is just a matter of "freeing up" the phones APN (by the way - on Blackberries - you have to set up the wap.voicetream.com APN on the Blackberry itself or it won't work), or the proxy settings - which often hogtie the device to t-zones, through which you can do nothing.

If this is the case, HowardForums (and TMo News Forum ) is full of settings fixes for tethering devices. Since you don;t appear to spend much time on forums (ha-ha - you have almost as many posts as me and all in the last few months...).

The only dead end I have hit so far is the TMO Samsung Behold, as a TT screen pops up right after pairing it for hands-free that the device does not support data services.

Often it is just a matter of "freeing up" the phones APN (by the way - on Blackberries - you have to set up the wap.voicetream.com APN on the Blackberry itself or it won't work), or the proxy settings - which often hogtie the device to t-zones, through which you can do nothing.

I've tried so many different combinations with APN settings, manual IP addresses, scripts, etc. Either way, they aren't my phones so even if there is a configuration that works, it wouldn't help much :(

It's for sure that it will not work on my Sidekick 2008 though because just like you got that message, I too got the red message telling me my phone is only capable of hand-free calling, and that I will not be able to use data services.

I had a problem also. I was able to get it set up with my Blackberry 8830 and connected as a tethered modem via Bluetooth using a location tracking program that updates a web page online. That seemed to work good.

My problem is that when I go back to do the same thing, I have to do the complete set up again, even though I had already set everything up and named the connection. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, but is there a way to bring up the connection I created and named and have it available to use?

J

On your TomTom cacherjoe, it should save the settings for the phone setup that you connected through under phone settings. You can click on it to get it to connect if needed, but it normally tries to do so when it senses the bluetooth device you set it up with. You should be able to save the connection on the Blackberry also.

As for any other settings you do on the Blackberry to get connected - I do not know. Mine is set to be discoverable , and when I turn the Blackberry bluetooth on when to is next to the TomTom - it will ask to connect (I don't have it on automatic on the Blackberry, as sometimes I have it connect to a small GPS receiver rather than the TomTom).

I've tried so many different combinations with APN settings, manual IP addresses, scripts, etc. Either way, they aren't my phones so even if there is a configuration that works, it wouldn't help much :(

It's for sure that it will not work on my Sidekick 2008 though because just like you got that message, I too got the red message telling me my phone is only capable of hand-free calling, and that I will not be able to use data services.

Probably not, but may be possible. I have not been able to get my Behold set up as a tethered modem with my laptop yet. TMo does not have it set up to work, but admits some users have managed to do so. There are tethering threads in the forums I mentioned, but so far, I have not succeeded (the best use of a 3G connection would be as a modem - exactly why TMo doesn't like it).

My guess is that if I get it going as a modem, the TomTom will then see it as supporting data services and I may be able to set it up for Plus Services. The same my be true for the sidekick (although they are on a different data plan).

Ask a Question