Is my Tom Tom POI like a phone book?

Not all businesses can be found in the POI list of any GPS. Many major chains are covered, but not individual businesses. Spelling is sometimes not what you'd expect, either. What were you trying to find?

The real "phone book" approach means having one of the TomTom "Live" units and using Google to look up pretty much anything you can imagine, and Google is more forgiving about the spelling - to a point.

I tried two types of business's . .The first I tried was a Credit Union Bank., I tried the name credit union, then the name of the credit union, then I tried Bank., But only the Canadian Bank names came up such as Royal, Scotia, Montreal etc ., I needed the name of the Credit union .. nothing zilch ..

Then I tried the location of a Liquor distrubution centre such as our BC signature stores., Nothing.. but when I typed in Liquor I got all the independant stores . Could not find the Main Govt branch outlets that advertise on the front of their business BC Liquorstore

I agree - neither appear to be included in the POI selection for your town. Gotta say, you've got some great names for liquor stores up there, though...

Witch of Endor Liquor Store
Sailor Hagar's Liquor Store

Sounds like it would be worth a trip to the neighborhood just to check these out!

If you have spots you frequent for any reason, I would urge you to create a custom POI category for yourself. Each time you visit a place, mark it as a new POI in your personal POI category. Or if you can find it on a map or by address, you can enter it as a new POI in advance.

It's one way of filling in the gaps in POI coverage that doesn't require a subscription to "Live" services and doing it via Google.

The other problem I have with POI 's is the 'built in' ones with a colorful avatar.. Such as Tim Hortons.. If I discover that if Tim Hortons is located on the wrong side of the mall entrance ., when I go to 'edit the PO' I it says It can't find any under that name..
I thought if the avatar and name is already in the list of POI's which it is.. I should be able to access it., yet I can't seem to edit a avatar POI only restaurants only ..

Last edited:
The other problem I have with POI 's is the 'built in' ones with a colorful avatar.. Such as Tim Hortons.. If I discover that if Tim Hortons is located on the wrong side of the mall entrance ., when I go to 'edit the PO' I it says It can't find any under that name..
I thought if the avatar and name is already in the list of POI's which it is.. I should be able to access it., yet I can't seem to edit a avatar POI only restaurants only ..
For the built-in POI (not ones you add), you do not "edit" the POI the same way you would a custom POI. Because the built-in POI list comes with the maps you receive, you need to report it under Map corrections > Correct a map error > [right arrow, probably] > Edit POI

Ask a Question