Invalid SIM on One XL HDT

OK, long story short:
Bought a Tomtom One XL HD Traffficfrom eBay, started to play up on the first day, followed instructions to copy maps off and format failed. Sent back to tomtom and received back an equivalent to new unit today.
Anyway, charged it up, turned it on and after setting it up, the right hand traffic bar has a red cross in the centre, and when you touch it, it says 'Invalid SIM' in the corner of the options screen.
Tried calling Tomtom customer support but got fed up with waiting :rant:
Anyone got any idea if this is an easy thing to resolve?
Thanks
Martin

Don't think it was related but TomTom's LIVE servers (for traffic) were out for over 48 hours both in Europe and the USA. Finally came back on line yesterday afternoon.

That may have something to do with the sim error you are getting but I'm afraid you will need to call CS (again) to get it all sorted.

While I had the "Traffic"terday, the connection to the server was good (blue blob at top of bar), there were just no incidents showing.

So I think this is something different.

Could TT have left a SM card in the refurbished device that was not compatible with your location or the installed software version? It's certainly not unheard of! But getting that sorted can only be done through customer services.

One thing it MIGHT be worth trying is flattening the battery RIGHT down - i.e. keep switching it on and leaving it on until you simply cannot switch it on any more. Then drive to somewhere that will be using a DIFFERENT cellphone mast (how far that is depends if you live in a town or out in the country!), plug the device into the car charger and see if that cures it.

Don't think it was related but TomTom's LIVE servers (for traffic) were out for over 48 hours both in Europe and the USA. Finally came back on line yesterday afternoon.

That may have something to do with the sim error you are getting but I'm afraid you will need to call CS (again) to get it all sorted.

OK, will check it out again this morning and see what happens

While I had the "Traffic"terday, the connection to the server was good (blue blob at top of bar), there were just no incidents showing.

So I think this is something different.

Could TT have left a SM card in the refurbished device that was not compatible with your location or the installed software version? It's certainly not unheard of! But getting that sorted can only be done through customer services.

One thing it MIGHT be worth trying is flattening the battery RIGHT down - i.e. keep switching it on and leaving it on until you simply cannot switch it on any more. Then drive to somewhere that will be using a DIFFERENT cellphone mast (how far that is depends if you live in a town or out in the country!), plug the device into the car charger and see if that cures it.

Actually, have just opened the sim card slot and there is no sim card in it! I wasn't sure which version it was but apparently it's the 'new edition'. I only found out after buying a screen mount and it didn't fit!

Will try and call them again today.

Thanks

Martin

Ask a Question