SIM Card Invalid

I have a One XL and I get a message "SIM Card Invalid". What does this mean? What do I need to do to fix it? Is this the reason the unit never connects to the server?

I purchased this unit used and I am just learning how to use it.

Thanks for any assistance!

I have a One XL and I get a message "SIM Card Invalid". What does this mean? What do I need to do to fix it? Is this the reason the unit never connects to the server?

I purchased this unit used and I am just learning how to use it.

Thanks for any assistance!
OH my. Tap the satellite bars on the right. Tap the little box with version info. Tell us what software version has been installed on your unit. It sounds as though someone has installed software for another model on it.

Here is the rest of the info:
Device xxxxx xxxxx
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
32 MB RAM (free: 1.9 MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3030
Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v710.1575
Language: English US

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the rest of the info:
Device xxxxx xxxxx
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
32 MB RAM (free: 1.9 MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3030
Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v710.1575
Language: English US
OK - I "wiped out" your device number. You don't want someone else dinking around with that.

The application version is correct for your unit, although it could be updated to 8.014. Your maps are really old ... they date back a couple of years.

Where and under what circumstances did you get that message? After seeing your firmware version, I'm guessing it wasn't your unit that said that, but instead, that you got that message from TomTom Home (the PC application)? Please advise the circumstances under which that message occurs and whether your One is otherwise behaving normally.

Hmmm... have been pondering. I believe there WAS one model of the XL One sold in the Netherlands that actually incorporated a SIM card. I wonder if your unit has somehow become confused and thinks that it's one of those rare birds? It was called the The ONE XL HD Traffic, and used a Vodaphone SIM card. Came out sometime in late '07.

Mike Alder! Alert! Can you confirm that my recollection is correct, and advise whether the SIM card will be visible to this user if we ask him to look for it? I've never seen one of these models, and wouldn't have a clue as to where to tell him to look. Could be the original owner pulled the SIM before selling.

Meanwhile to the OP ... two things:

In the root directory of your TomTom you will find the file ttgo.bif. Open with any text editor and advise the content of the first two lines that start with DeviceName and DeviceVersion.

In the root directory of your TomTom you will likely find a folder called SIMCARD. In that folder, you may then find a file called Mobility.sim. Open that file with any word processor. Each of the lines should have nothing after the "=" sign

[GPRS]
MNC=
ICCID=
IMSI=
IMEI=
Model=

Is that true or false?

Last edited:
Mike Alder! Alert! Can you confirm that my recollection is correct, and advise whether the SIM card will be visible to this user if we ask him to look for it? I've never seen one of these models, and wouldn't have a clue as to where to tell him to look. Could be the original owner pulled the SIM before selling.

They used to sell a HD Traffic receiver that would work with the One XL and x20 units but only in Holland, this comprised of a GPRS modem and sim card built in to the power lead, they had no roaming capability so if was taken out of Holland it wouldn't work. Don't recall a One XL with the sim built in to the PND, so my guess would be a stock One XL with the HDT receiver/ charger cable taken outside the country of coverage, hence the error message - Mike

There was a ONE XL HDT model (with embedded SIM) in the Netherlands, launched in 2007 concurrent with the HDT launch in the Netherlands, but discontinued quite a while ago. It never had application 8.010, so I doubt that's the issue.

How are you trying to connect to traffic?

The ONE XL supports two options:
1) pairing to a bluetooth phone for traffic, or
2) connecting to a traffic antenna

Meanwhile to the OP ... two things:

In the root directory of your TomTom you will find the file ttgo.bif. Open with any text editor and advise the content of the first two lines that start with DeviceName and DeviceVersion.

In the root directory of your TomTom you will likely find a folder called SIMCARD. In that folder, you may then find a file called Mobility.sim. Open that file with any word processor. Each of the lines should have nothing after the "=" sign

[GPRS]
MNC=
ICCID=
IMSI=
IMEI=
Model=

Is that true or false?

ttgo.bif
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL HD Traffic
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL HD Traffic

Mobility.sim
Has information on all lines except MNC
Also shows 4 lines of account info

The "SIM card invalid" shows up when I boot up the unit and then I cannot access the server when checking traffic or "My Services". For standard GPS functions the unit works fine. The only other problem I have had with it was a bad 5 wire battery which I ended up replacing with a 3 wire battery.
By the way, the unit has an access for the SIM card on the rear and there is a SIM card in the slot. The ICCID number in the Mobility file matches the SIM card number.

There's the answer. You have the Netherlands HD Traffic model of the ONE XL. And someone put on USA maps on it.

Wow, that's a hard to find model, when your done using it ebay it to some collector.

Problem it, the SIM card is from Vodafone, and Vodafone doesn't have service here. So Traffic is going to complain about the SIM card, as the Vodafone SIM isn't supposed to roam outside the Netherlands..

If you want the traffic, you can try using an antenna, but honestly not much is known about that hardware as it's so rare.

It's rarity must be why no one ever saw a 5 wire battery on a One XL. OK, thanks for the info. This unit was a gift from my daughter who bought it on Ebay.
Since the maps are old, should I be able to get updated maps? When I try the latest maps guarantee it tells me it is expired.

ttgo.bif
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL HD Traffic
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL HD Traffic

Mobility.sim
Has information on all lines except MNC
Also shows 4 lines of account info

The "SIM card invalid" shows up when I boot up the unit and then I cannot access the server when checking traffic or "My Services". For standard GPS functions the unit works fine. The only other problem I have had with it was a bad 5 wire battery which I ended up replacing with a 3 wire battery.
By the way, the unit has an access for the SIM card on the rear and there is a SIM card in the slot. The ICCID number in the Mobility file matches the SIM card number.
Wow, I guessed right, but I'd have given 100:1 odds against it. You've got a rare bird there, especially for a U.S. user.

Just for grins, make a copy your Mobility.sim file safely somewhere on your PC (just in case). Now on the TT, delete all of the information after the "=" on each line of that file so that it looks like what I posted earlier. That should cause your unit to quit dealing with a SIM card that has no hope of functioning here in the U.S.

Let me know how you made out. We've never seen this unit before, so we're in new territory!

It's rarity must be why no one ever saw a 5 wire battery on a One XL. OK, thanks for the info. This unit was a gift from my daughter who bought it on Ebay.
Since the maps are old, should I be able to get updated maps? When I try the latest maps guarantee it tells me it is expired.
Yes, the Latest Map Guarantee is offered to the original purchaser for a period of 30 days after the unit goes into use. You're a couple of years beyond that :p

Not knowing what the level of road changes have been in your area (I don't get up there much), you'll need to decide for yourself whether or not what you're seeing on your TomTom reflects reality accurately enough to please you. It is possible to purchase a fresher map set for that unit, but at considerable expense (I'd guess $60 for your unit).

Once we get the silly SIM card issue put to rest, we can talk about 1) getting your unit backed up adequately, and 2) updating it. For the moment, please don't use the TomTom PC application to make any changes to your unit's firmware. That'll come next.

First do the backup as canderson says, instructions are here.

Tomtom continues to sell new maps for all of it's PND models. Connect the device to Tomtom HOME, and choose "add maps" to buy them. You can see pricing here.

Just for grins, make a copy your Mobility.sim file safely somewhere on your PC (just in case). Now on the TT, delete all of the information after the "=" on each line of that file so that it looks like what I posted earlier. That should cause your unit to quit dealing with a SIM card that has no hope of functioning here in the U.S.

Let me know how you made out. We've never seen this unit before, so we're in new territory!

OK, how do I do this? Edit the file in the backup and restore it all? Can I somehow change it directly in the unit?

OK, how do I do this? Edit the file in the backup and restore it all? Can I somehow change it directly in the unit?
You can edit it directly on the unit once you have that backup made. As we've never seen one of these, I wanted to be certain you had a copy with at least reasonable (if not useful) data in it just in case that proved necessary later. You can edit/save just like you can copy files. Your TomTom just looks like another hard drive to your computer.

When you make the edits, do so by placing the cursor right at the end of the line of data after the "=", hit the backspace as many times as needed, and repeat for the other lines. Save the result right there on your TomTom.

I'm going to be out for a bit, but will check in later on your progress.

COUGAR, I'm not sure if you know WHERE to go to access your TT drive so you can edit that file. You have to do it in Windows Explorer. Just go to My Computer and you will see your TT shown as a drive. Double click on the icon and you can then do your editing. Maybe you already knew this, but just in case.... :)

Well here is what happened. I remove the info and save it and as soon as I disconnect the unit from my PC it looks at the SIM card and reinserts the info. Then it tells me its invalid.

Does the unit work as a Nav unit once you OK the Sim Error message?

If so thats about all you can expect, the Live HD part will only work with a current subscription when the device is located in Holland as these early Live devices have no roaming capability as mentioned by mvl earlier in the thread - Mike

Ask a Question