Invalid security certificate in Home

I am trying to update my TomTom ONE XL and I keep getting a message saying ' invalid security code'. Any ideas how to get round this so I can update?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you trying to update and where exactly in the process do you see that message?

Is this when you first connect the unit to Home that you see it and is there a numeric password on the unit?

In the header of your message you said "invalid security certificate".

If the error is about "certificates", it usually means your computer's date/time is set wrong.

i have the same error:

"home.tomtom.com:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

This could be a problem with the server's configuration or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

If you have connected to this server successfully in the past the error may be temporary and you can try again later."

my date and time are both correct.

And this is when you are trying to run Home?

Or when is it exactly you are seeing this error?

i have the same error:

"home.tomtom.com:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

This could be a problem with the server's configuration or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

If you have connected to this server successfully in the past the error may be temporary and you can try again later."

my date and time are both correct.

You may have some corruption in your HOME folders.

Try these steps.

followed those steps, still happening.

(also, i have windows 7, and there are no windows 7 specific instructions)

i see this error when i try to run any part of Home. every button i click returns the same error.
Are you trying to run this from home or are you on a corporate system where a proxy server might be interfering with the SSL of the Home server?

On windows 7, you should still be able to go to %appdata% and delete the Tomtom subfolder. Is that what you did?

Tomtom HOME communicates with https://community.tomtom.com/

I typed that into firefox and it says the certificate was authorized by digicert.

Does that website work in firefox (empty screen, but no errors?) I'm thinking it must be a firewall issue too, seems you addressed everything else.

Problem seems to be unique to Kaspersky, and not all users of that software seem to have it due to variations in versions being run (old vs. new).

For your situation:

Open KIS> Settings> Network; Uncheck the Scan encrypted connections.

From the Kaspersky site:

"To scan encrypted connection Kaspersky Anti-Virus version 2009 substitutes the required security certificate by the self-signed certificate. Sometimes the programs that establish connection, refuse accepting this self-signed certificate and as a result do not establish connection. Kaspersky Lab's experts recommend disable check of SSL-traffic"

How to scan encrypted connections in Kaspersky Lab products version 2009

Thank you!
No, thank YOU. You're the first to identify that you were receiving the message under Kaspersky. If I'd known earlier, I'd have spoken up. Kaspersky plays some games with certificates that not all applications will tolerate (nor should they, really). Other users tend to see this problem pop up on their online banking sites. Hadn't dawned on me that Home was operating that tightly, but now we know, and perhaps some others can benefit from your info.

Thanks for your help canderson.

I had the same problem with KIS 2013 that I didn't have with previous KIS versions.

I tried something else.

On KIS 2013, uncheking "use HTTP protocol instead of SPDY protocol" and have checked the "Scan encrypted connections" works. There's no more error message. It's weird.

I hope it'll be helpful.

Thanks, Totoro. Good to know there's a new workaround for this.

home.tomtom.com:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

I had this issue recently and it looks like in my case updating Eset Smart Security to version6 was responsible.

Open Eset Smart Security and go to Advanced Setup:
Web and Email > Expand Web access protection > Select HTTP, HTTPS > Check Do not use HTTPS protocol filtering and then click ok.

This worked for me, hope it helps others who may encounter this issue.

Invalid security certificate error

I have a XL IQ Routes and it works well. Recently while trying to update the maps, I keep getting and invalid certificate error and My Tomtom doesn't show that I am connected. Tomtom home does show that I am connected. I called Tomtom and they walked me thru deleting all of the tomtom info on my computer and downloading all the TThome and myTT stuff all over again. Still shows the invalid errors. And I have checked my internet security to verify that tom tom is a valid site and not to block it. I even turned off the firewall and spam to see if that would work. I just got an email from the tech guy I was working with, and he said I should use another computer. I only have this one. Has anyone experienced these invalid security certificate errors before, and if so, how did you fix it. Thanks

Ask a Question