interesting oral instructions (730)

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
What are the conditions that the unit will announce the # of streets before the required turn?

As well the other day the unit told me to go or keep on straight. I have used the unit extensively and this was the first time I had heard such an instruction. This did not occur on a hwy where one might accidentally get caught in an exiting off ramp. It is a conventional north south road with a speed limit of 70 km/hr (approx 40 mph), 2 lanes going north and 2 south.

I wonder what other oral instructions I have yet to hear.

Last edited:
What are the conditions that the unit will announce the # of streets before the required turn?

As well the other day the unit told me to go or keep on straight. I have used the unit extensively and this was the first time I had heard such an instruction. This did not occur on a hwy where one might accidentally get caught in an exiting off ramp. It is a conventional north south road with a speed limit of 70 km/hr (approx 40 mph), 2 lanes going north and 2 south.

I wonder what other oral instructions I have yet to hear.

For your first question, think you're referring to voice preferences-->Read aloud road numbers.

For the second: second screen of voice preferences-->Disable early warning instruction (check or uncheck it). At least I think that's what you're referring to.

For your first question, think you're referring to voice preferences-->Read aloud road numbers.

But this doesnt happen all the time on my routes. I notice it only, sometimes, when I am in a residential, low speed (40 km/h) area. An so a typical oral instruction would be..."take the third left". So what are the circumstances that causes it to 'kick in' for parts of some routes?

For the second: second screen of voice preferences-->Disable early warning instruction (check or uncheck it). At least I think that's what you're referring to.

And re the oral instruction "keep on straight". I have heard it only two times in the month that I have used the 730 (extensively). (The only two times I heard it was for the same street at the same location). And there was no obvious reason why it was spoken as I would always go straight unless it indicated for me to turn :confused: ...which is what it does every other time except at that location in question.

Last edited:
For the second: second screen of voice preferences-->Disable early warning instruction (check or uncheck it).
Amazing. A few times I was getting a little upset that I couldn't find where I had made adjustments and changes previously. Looking at your post, again I could not find "Disable early warning instruction". The only option under Voice preferences aside of Disable, Record and Download was Change voice. I am used to test anything while reading posts and being connected to HOME. It finally sunk in that, just as with the mobile phone, some items are only available when not connected to the computer. Disconnected, Speech preferences becomes an option and it alerts that I use a recorded voice (no, the computer voice is still not available). The two options available are Disable early warning and Disable keep to highway lane. Some time ago I had the latter disabled but lately those warnings had come back and I couldn't find where to change it.
SWMBO was particularly displeased with the constant reminders when crossing the 401. My remedy was to change from 'Jane' to 'Kathy' as she just couldn't tell herself to shut up.

Thanks for making me think.

Ask a Question