Interesting power problem

This just happened a couple of days ago after I updated My TomTom second edition.

The update may not be related, but I suppose its possible.

I can't turn on the unit unless it's plugged into the charger (or computer)

But once it's turned on it stays on when unplugged and the batteries show fully charged.

The battery level then discharges at the normal rate and lasts about 2 hours.

I can turn it off with no problems, but if I turn it back on i need to temporarily plug it in to the car charger to fire it up.

Can't figure out what is happening. Other than that it works great.:confused:

This just happened a couple of days ago after I updated My TomTom second edition.

The update may not be related, but I suppose its possible.

I can't turn on the unit unless it's plugged into the charger (or computer)

But once it's turned on it stays on when unplugged and the batteries show fully charged.

The battery level then discharges at the normal rate and lasts about 2 hours.

I can turn it off with no problems, but if I turn it back on i need to temporarily plug it in to the car charger to fire it up.

Can't figure out what is happening. Other than that it works great.:confused:

Are you using an SD card with this unit? If so, with the unit on, remove the SD card and perform a soft reset (go to www.tomtom.com/7134 for instructions). Put the card back in and turn on the unit, it should then work. If you do not use an SD card, uninstall the application using TTH, then reset the unit and run an update to reinstall the application. Hope this helps.

I've had the same problem. Actually, the problem is identified by TomTom and the fix is to do a pin reset. I also ran the clear flash utility and all is well now.

I had to do the reset and run clear flash utility again after I added the SD card but it's ok wether I,m using the card or not (at least it's OK so far)

Last edited:
I, too, have found that this "NOT POWERING ON" issue occurs typically when the SD card is inserted (as someone previously stated).

My solution to this (that has always worked for me) is that anytime I remove the SD card and then insert it again (NOTE: doesn't matter if you are inserting it with the unit on or off, you get the same situation) I do the following:
1) With the TomTom powered OFF, remove the SD card (this allows the unit to boot using the internal memory).....the TomTom should not be connected to any external power source at this time (i.e. USB should not be connected)
2) Turn on the TomTom power without any SD card
3) After the TomTom boots completely, Insert the SD card
4) After the TomTom reboots completely again on its own (because of plugging in the SD card) press the hardware RESET button on the bottom of the unit.

The unit will now power on after you turn it off, even with the SD Card in the slot.

This keeps my unit operating for 90% of the time. Every once in awhile, I'll get the "NO BOOT" issue after being connected to the PC or to power. I simply follow the above procedure and it again works for a pretty good length of time.

Any time you remove and reinsert your SD card, you should perform the RESET

Ask a Question