In car navigation system.

TomTom Model(s)
tomtom one
Hello Ladies and Gentlmen,

If possible I would like to ask for some technical help, with regards to installing a TomTom map onto my Erisin 966 all in one DVD, digital TV, radio and navigation system. I have used my TomTom one for many years and have learned to trust the maps and guidence, and would like to continue using the TomTom software.

Right here goes, please bear in mind I know pretty much nothing when it comes to GPS systems.
Recently I bought my new system for my car, I was excited when I got it out of the box and installed it. The manufacture who makes the sysem supplied a SD card with i-GO 8 installed, which to my horror when I contacted i-GO with regards to updating the map I was told the map was counterfeit and they would not supply me with any more support, so I am now trying to find a compatible TomTom map to use on the system.

My system requirements are as follows :-
Operating system - Windows CE 6.0
CPU - SiRFatlas IV

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Erisin-ES966GB-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-DVB-T-Bluetooth-iPod-/120744682500
Ubove is the link to eBay, which will take you to the complete spec of the GPS system and the spec of the machine.

Since performing my own research into trying to locate a sutable map for machine, I have only managed to hit a solid brick wall, the i-GO map which is installed on the SD card in my machine, is saved as a exe file, and runs without a problem, however the TomTom map I tried from my TomTom one would not run as it is a itn file and the system could not open the files.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this and managed to find a solution, or does someone know of a TomTom map that would be fully compatible, or does someone know of a way to make a itn file executable other than changing the file path.

Any help will be greatly recieved.

What you are facing is why we don't recommend no-name Chinese all-in-one in-dash GPS systems.

I have no idea how Erisin is getting around the normal locking of a TomTom map to a particular device. They claim you just load the TomTom map to the SD card and go. Believe me, unless they're running some classic Chinese hacked firmware, they have no way to do that without an arrangement with TomTom, and I am unaware of such an arrangement. I guess I'm not surprised that the iGO map was a hack.

Unfortunately, Erisin has no 800 number, no western tech support facility, and can be contacted at reasonable cost only at their email address, (e-mail address removed). Really.. email the "admin" for tech support? See http://www.erisin.com/

If you can get them to explain how this actually works, we'll all be interested to hear it. I'm not even sure how they expect that you'll be able to purchase a map from TomTom. We wish you well, but I'm not hopeful.

Oh - and in TomTom lingo, an *.itn file is an itinerary file .. a list of waypoints to be visited. It's not a map of any sort.

Forget running TomTom on that head unit there isn't enough memory (RAM) for it to work correctly, you will get the map but either a stuttering voice or no voice instructions at all.

Only software I know that works on these devices is as follows:

Route 66 (Old version, maps way out of date)
iGO (As you are aware)
Sygic/ McGuider (works well, this is what I have installed to my car stereo)

Mike

Thanks everyone for your replys, I have sent Erisin a email asking them how tho instal a TomTom map to my device...

Just have to wait for a reply....

Forget running TomTom on that head unit there isn't enough memory (RAM) for it to work correctly, you will get the map but either a stuttering voice or no voice instructions at all.

Only software I know that works on these devices is as follows:

Route 66 (Old version, maps way out of date)
iGO (As you are aware)
Sygic/ McGuider (works well, this is what I have installed to my car stereo)

Mike

What version of Sygic/McGuider have you used, I Googled it and could only find software for mobile phones...

I dont suppose you have a web link that I could borrow please. :)

You can see the version loaded on the above picture, its not the most current one but I had a spare copy and license and its more up to date than the Route 66 supplied with my unit - Mike

You can see the version loaded on the above picture...

Hi mate thanks for the reply, but I cant seem to find the software.

However I have done some poking around and I have found the TomTom navigation 7 software runs on my system, but I have not managed to find a English version or a UK map.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question