Carmakers offering portable navigation systems in lieu of their own factory nav?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
Hmm.. it seems like more and more automakers (At least in Canada) are offering portable nav units as dealer-installed accessories for their vehicles. Naturally they're charging more than what it costs to buy it at FS, BB or Fry's but you know, you replace Garmin with MINI or Volvo lol.

anyway,

so far there's MINI (had a special promo), Volvo (dealer-installed) and now the Honda Fit in Canada has the "navi 200" portable unit (probably the Nuvi 200 or sth) as a dealer-installed accessory.

Naah, to do it right you need an AASE-certified technician and an incremental labor charge of $30.00 to stick the suction cup to the windshield...

You say 'installed'. Are they somehow built into the dash?

I have deen installation kits in different auto magazines which are used to install TT in a vehicle.. Half of the unit is a radio and the other half has a opening for the Tt to fit into the dash, I'm curious to how well the sattelite signal is received by the TT device. i belive it is made fot the TT One!!

Naah, to do it right you need an AASE-certified technician and an incremental labor charge of $30.00 to stick the suction cup to the windshield...

One could have the TT as a normal install (sucktion cup and wires hanging around) or have it factory professionally installed. This includes a very professional looking permanent mount on top of the dashboard and all wires hidden and hardwired to ones car with connections to its HU.

I have deen installation kits in different auto magazines which are used to install TT in a vehicle.. Half of the unit is a radio and the other half has a opening for the Tt to fit into the dash, I'm curious to how well the sattelite signal is received by the TT device. i belive it is made fot the TT One!!

This HU is called the Eclipse AVN2210p.

You say 'installed'. Are they somehow built into the dash?

No idea, I haven't seen any of these vehicles. I'm pretty sure they're using vent-mounted kits rather than the suction cup.

Sorta like how the iPod kits are installed with a vent/dash mounted arm that swings out and holds your iPod.

Ask a Question