I need a TRUCK ROUTE !!!

Hey TomTom peeps,

Upon purchasing this new GPS system, which is the ONE XL, I figured it was similar to others in which you can get the bus/truck routes on it. I am a class A CDL truck driver who generally hauls 53' trailers all over the place and it's starting to screw me up not having the proper route option I need. :confused: At the same time it has saved my butt a few times and got me to the fastest route, so money could be made, it also screwed me over about a half dozen times also though and got me 2 fines in New York and New Jersey...$195.00 fine...$275.00 fine...ouch !!

I got my first transport going into ( I never do it...usually Texas, Virginia, and Georgia) New York,NY and Jersey City,NJ and I got beat up hard with bridges, tunnels, no truck streets, and my big fine was because I was getting ready to take my rig and trailer through the Holland Tunnel...LOL...it's funny if you've ever been there...I would not have fit in and out of there so well... :D Anyways, I'm kind of pissed I chose the TomTom now because I hear that the Garmin GPS units are about $125 cheaper and they automatically come with it on the latest model...grrrr....

TomTom you have made a major mistake by not including truck route options on your units and I would have to say that truck drivers, bus drivers, and other commercial drivers are a good part of your customer base...get it right, morons !!! :eek:

- dootcher (Butch F.)

truck routes

i would also like to see truck routes and would be happy to pay for it
i move over weight and size loads and my tt one has gotten me into trouble a few times
it has also found some very hard to get-to places
if it was offered it would be nice if it included chicken coops (weight stations) with a 25 mi warning.
i don't know how many truckers use the tt verses the garman or other brands
but i know more that a few of us do
thanks

I also own a Garmin StreepPilot c550 that uses the same new 2008 NA maps and the same routing engine than the new Garmin Nuvi 760 and eventhough it has the option in the Navigation Menu for Trucks IT DOES NOT HAS INFO FOR TRUCK ROUTES IN THEIR MAPS. Therefore even this high end Garmin Units will route you most of the time along major highways and major roads BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE THE PROPER TRUCK-RELATED INFO IN THEIR MAPS AS BRIDGE HEIGHTS, NO-TRUCK ROADS AND SO ON. For more info on this check the FAQ section of the Garmin.com website.

I do agree with you , they should add this truck-related info to their maps.

Hey TomTom peeps,

Upon purchasing this new GPS system, which is the ONE XL, I figured it was similar to others in which you can get the bus/truck routes on it. I am a class A CDL truck driver who generally hauls 53' trailers all over the place and it's starting to screw me up not having the proper route option I need. :confused: At the same time it has saved my butt a few times and got me to the fastest route, so money could be made, it also screwed me over about a half dozen times also though and got me 2 fines in New York and New Jersey...$195.00 fine...$275.00 fine...ouch !!

I got my first transport going into ( I never do it...usually Texas, Virginia, and Georgia) New York,NY and Jersey City,NJ and I got beat up hard with bridges, tunnels, no truck streets, and my big fine was because I was getting ready to take my rig and trailer through the Holland Tunnel...LOL...it's funny if you've ever been there...I would not have fit in and out of there so well... :D Anyways, I'm kind of pissed I chose the TomTom now because I hear that the Garmin GPS units are about $125 cheaper and they automatically come with it on the latest model...grrrr....

TomTom you have made a major mistake by not including truck route options on your units and I would have to say that truck drivers, bus drivers, and other commercial drivers are a good part of your customer base...get it right, morons !!! :eek:

- dootcher (Butch F.)
I also agree, TomTom needs to offer a software downloads for the OTR Truckers

I agree to with this.. I won a TOMTOM ONE 125 from our Christmas Party. I usually use Streets and Trips on my laptop with a i.Trek M5 Bluetooth GPS unit but don't go by it 100% as I know that its for cars.. So still have to be concerned when going to Chicago with there tight turns and 11' bridges.. :eek:

I think the GPS makers as a whole started with the wrong class of drivers.. but that is my opinion.. ;)

Like it the TT verses the ST but don't like the idea you can't add multiple stops to it like in ST.. :rolleyes:

Your model (125) is the low end of the models and can't do multiple stops (itinerary). Higher end models can.

learning curve

I use A TomTom 720 and I wouldn't go anywhere without it.

There has been a few times that it steered me wrong but not many, it also helped me to figure out how to get out. Sometimes it will want me to go down weight limited streets but there are ways around that also.

First and foremost, you need to learn what you can expect from it and how to use it.
It's also not a replacement for trip planning and keeping your eyes open.

I see no purpose for using it on a long interstate highway trip, a trip atlas will do for that, a gps shines when you are getting close.

I'll punch in the address then browse the route, I don't just follow it blindly. Sometimes I might not like what it is showing me and will have it recalculate.

There are times that I know exactly where I'm going and how to get there, I punch it up anyhow, it shows my speed (very acurate) and how far I have to go to my next turn or destination, handy to have when my dispatcher can't contain himself and has to know where I am

I've said this in other posts also...It's only a machine, but it is also a tool, you need to learn how to use it just like any other tool. Don't trust it blindy, you still have to pay attention and make decisions just like you did before.

Timt49 :

Thank you for covering the "facts" & common sense responsibilities of the commercial driver.

My jaw dropped when I read dootcher's post. "SHOCKING"

Hopefully, most here will understand that a professional
driver would NEVER use a GPS device as his sole tool for
navigation. You mentioned the proper tools.

Sadly, there are drivers out here with dootcher's mentality. Fortunatly, they won't be around very long ---- "Prime DOT Bait"

Positive Note: the Europeans are currently using the newly
released TT Truck Version. From my conversations with
a few Euro Drivers.....they are liking it !!

Last edited:
Hey guys I work for best buy. And sorry to say there isn't a gps on the market aside from programs that can be loaded onto your laptop. That will give you true truck routes. I.E. clearances, bridges, tunnels, weight stations whatever. Your best bet if your a cdl driver is to look elsewhere from tom tom and garmin. At least for the time being.

I looked at the Tomtom work solution but apart from being expensive it has far more than I need. I can't find anywhere that you can just buy the Truck map, but I did find that my 930 is compatible for the Truck maps.

I'm sure there must be loads of Tomtom owners like me who have motorhomes, RV's or caravans & the truck maps would help but are a bit more than we really need. It's a pity they don't have a version somewhere in between the car & the truck maps.

The work website is like a sales brochure. I don't think it permits any direct transactions like the consumer website does.

I just referred to it so you can get the "work" sales rep numbers. If you call, they might sell you a truck map only. Don't know, there are no tt truck maps in the US.

Hey TomTom peeps,

- dootcher (Butch F.)

Yes, I Know where you are coming from, I pull a B-Double ( 2 trailers, 26.1meters Total) and you really need to go through the route, and compare it with your maps, over here we have truckies atlases with truck routes marked in them, just send the tomtom along this route, takes me about 10 minutes, but atleast I know I wont be getting any fines or points taken off my licence.

Regards,
Paul

HI Paul..

Not sure for the USA, but TomTom have released an SD card for truckers like yourself. I think it only for Europe, and is via TomTomWork. This is a cheaper solution to the other systems they use, and if I remember rightly you can order directly from them.

I will take a look for you, and will come back.

Vorlon

Ask a Question