Hello I'm noew

I got a tomtom one 125 for christmas. So far, this thing takes me the weirdest ways to get to places. I guess it also doesn't do traffic unless I get the antenna that costs as much as the unit. Is this device any good or is it more of a gimmick? Not trying to be mean, I just don't see the point of it for everyday use.

Jason

It is a low end model. The main purpose of any gps is to get you to a location where you don't know the route. Local knowledge is always better than any gps, even brands and models costing hundreds more than yours.

p.s Welcome to TTF!

gps

A lot of the places I go to that I get lost the most are camp grounds and places like that. Problem is, most of those places don't have an address. So I'm not sure if this thing will help much.

Jason

tomtom

I used mine again this morning to go to a store on the other side of town. Easiest way to go is straight up the highway and then down another road. tomtom wanted me to get off the highway downtown and then take surface roads and a lot of turns to get to the same place. Why would it choose a path that is so much slower and harder than one that is only 2 roads?

Jason

It is possible that you have dl a mashare change from somebody that blocked a road unnecessarily.

You might want to try this: In Home, remove all mapshares by everybody, then set as a route the same starting/ending points you took, do a route demo and see if the route changes.

Greetings. Sorry to hear that you are having a problem with the tt. When I first bought mine I found it taking me on some strange routes. Even across a vacant field. Turned out that about twenty years ago they closed the road that used to be there. The hardware is less of a problem than the software on any gps unit. I fly and my aviation unit must be updated every two months to be legal. Locally I find that I usually know a better way but it will get me where I want to go but as you noted not always that efficient. Once you are at a campground, for me it is elementary schools, if they are not in the POI list just add it using Map Correction and it will be there after that. Let us know how you make out as you use your unit.

Ask a Question