Hello and questions

Hi everyone,

First let me say that this forum rocks.
I recently bought an XL 340S IQ Routes Edition.
I found this site and did a good bit of reading before I ever connected my TT to the computer. As a result, I did my first explorer backup before I did ANYTHING with the TT in Home.
Next I created a Home account, linked my device and took advantage of my Latest Map Guarantee (from 825.2197 to 835.2460 - had to move some voices to the computer to make room for the map update).
I then updated the Application from 8.411 to 8.414.
Finally I finished off with another backup.

Everything has gone well so far but I do have some questions.

If I were to delete ALL files from the TT or re-format its ?disk? and then disconnect and reset, would I still be able to connect it to the computer? Obviously the app wouldn?t start (it?s not there) but would I be able to access the disk to restore a backup or use Home to download and install everything (except maps)?

Is it possible to mess it up so bad that you can?t connect it to the computer to fix it?

I think I read a post where someone said they formatted it FAT32, I noticed mine is FAT. Is there any advantage to using FAT32 like more efficient use of space or better access time?

Thanks for the help, past, present and future.

~Dave

If I were to delete ALL files from the TT or re-format its ?disk? and then disconnect and reset, would I still be able to connect it to the computer? Obviously the app wouldn?t start (it?s not there) but would I be able to access the disk to restore a backup or use Home to download and install everything (except maps)?

It should appear as just another external drive with nothing on it

Is it possible to mess it up so bad that you can?t connect it to the computer to fix it?
It has been known to happen but that is not common....usually a reset of the unit allows the computer to 'recognize' the unit again.

I think I read a post where someone said they formatted it FAT32, I noticed mine is FAT. Is there any advantage to using FAT32 like more efficient use of space or better access time?

I do think it should be fat32 that TT uses more effectively. You could do a fat32 format (not quickformat) and restore from your Explorer backup.

Thanks dhn!

Those were my suspicions but I didn?t want to leap before I looked.

One more?

I noticed that the map and app updates that I downloaded with Home, as well as the voices that I moved to the computer, are stored under ?\My Documents\TomTom. If I wanted to move to another computer and use Home to install those items again, (really just the map, I can get everything else by downloading via Home right?), could I simply copy the ?\My Documents\TomTom folder (and sub-folders) to the new computer after installing Home?

I know I can install the map manually without using Home but I wanted to know if this is an option too.

I don't see why not. There are plenty of users who have Home installed on more than one computer; consequently, the folder/file structure on both computers would pretty much have to be the same so Home can 'find' what it's looking for when the time comes.

Ask a Question