GPX in TomTom

Hello everybody
I'm new here and I tried to find an answer for may question but I diid not succeed.
How I can use GPX files un my TomTom Go 720?

Regards?
Seven_user

Hello everybody
I'm new here and I tried to find an answer for may question but I diid not succeed.
How I can use GPX files un my TomTom Go 720?

Regards?
Seven_user
I do this DAILY, and can heartily recommend GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - www.gsak.net ). It will not only export GPX files to the TomTom OV2 POI format, you can use it to create HTML from the geocaching.com log info (if that's what you're doing) and display that on your TomTom as well. If by some chance that interests you, let me know and I'll explain how that's done with TomTom's mini-browser.

Thanks for your answer. It is really a good site with lot of conversion possibilities.
I fiound ov2 to gpx but not gpx to ov2. In fact what I want is to use off road iteneraries that are in gpx to use them in my TomTom. I'm not sure TomTom can work using this iteneraries.

Hi Canderson, I would love to know how to do this - I've got gsak now .. and a .gpx from geocaching ...

thanks heaps.

V.

Last edited:
GPX and XL330

I read this entire thread with interest. I have GSAK and would like to create itineraries on my XL330 that will navigate me from geocache to geocache (general locations only -- we use a GPSMAP60GSX to actually locate the cache). I am missing this concept of how to load the OV2 file from my computer to my XL330. Can you point me in the right direction? I have TOMTOM HOME installed and know how to use it, but I've not seen anything regarding loading OV2 files.

Thank you.

Larry

All you need to do is to take the OV2 file that results from the export from GSAK and slide it into the map folder on your TomTom. The filename you use to do the OV2 export from GSAK will be the name that your TomTom knows for that list and will appear in the list of POI categories.

All of the GSAK waypoints are now available for building an itinerary with your TomTom (or Home - that works, too). I use this feature to keep all of my unfound geocaches handy on my TomTom and sometimes building caching itineraries using that same list.

When you go to the itinerary planning menu on your TomTom, you create a new itinerary and use individual POI points from your new custom POI category as your destinations.

If you want, you can also create a special icon for your POI list. They're just little 22x22 *.bmp files. I use the little smiley face from gc.com. I'll add one for you here. It must have the same root filename as your OV2 file to associate it with your POIs. So if you created geocaches.ov2, you will want geocaches.bmp to go with it. It goes into your map file, too.

Attachments

• Geocaches.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,133
Sucess!

Canderson,

The details were a little different, but I got it to work! I had to slide the .ov2 and .bmp into United_States folder in order to see the file as a POI Category. Then I was able to plan an itinerary using the caches in that category. Thank you for your great help!

Larry (team Diamond1949 in geocaching.com)

Canderson actually meant that when he said

All you need to do is to take the OV2 file that results from the export from GSAK and slide it into the map folder on your TomTom

I make that mistake all the time, forgetting that in some installations, there is a folder called 'map' and I'm sometimes not clear when I mean to say 'specific' map folder .......

Glad you have it sorted.

Canderson,

The details were a little different, but I got it to work! I had to slide the .ov2 and .bmp into United_States folder in order to see the file as a POI Category. Then I was able to plan an itinerary using the caches in that category. Thank you for your great help!

Larry (team Diamond1949 in geocaching.com)
That "United_States" folder is your map folder, Larry. Not knowing which TT you had, I couldn't give you the exact name. Mine is North_America_2GB here at home, and my western Europe has yet another name. You got them right where you needed them. You can create as many unique OV2 files (and BMP files, if you don't want the TT default icon) as you like. Just to keep everything straight, I keep one file for unfound caches, and a separate one of caches that are found and still active. Gives me a sense of what the "space" looks like if I get the urge to place another one.

I first discovered GSAK as a tool for my Garmin handhelds, and was surprised when I was poking around and saw the OV2 file export feature. The TomTom has been an indispensable caching tool ever since.

I love GSAK and use it to update the cache info on both my Garmin and my TomTom. For itinary files, I use Tyre. You will be able to work with GPX files and also between both Garmin and TomTom. It will also allow you to create new files by clicking on a google map. Nice tool.

GPX Confussion.

Could you please tell me more about this? Thank you for your time!

I do this DAILY, and can heartily recommend GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) ). It will not only export GPX files to the TomTom OV2 POI format, you can use it to create HTML from the geocaching.com log info (if that's what you're doing) and display that on your TomTom as well. If by some chance that interests you, let me know and I'll explain how that's done with TomTom's mini-browser.

Could you please tell me more about this? Thank you for your time!
GSAK is available at GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

I'm not sure what aspect of its use you're asking about, so I'll cover the basic one.

As a premium member at geocaching.com, you can create "Pocket Queries" to pull down as many as 1000 geocaches per file, up to 5 such queries per day.

Using GSAK, you can load all of the Pocket Queries into a single database and export them as a TomTom *.ov2 file, and slide that file over into your TomTom's map folder. Your TomTom will use whatever name you used to save the file (whatever.ov2) to display a new POI category for you in the same way it does all other POI categories. You can now navigate directly to a geocache (or as close as your vehicle will get you, anyway) and you can build itineraries with your TomTom (or Home) if you want to do a longer caching run.

If you create a little 22x22 icon called whatever.bmp and slide it over with the *.ov2 file (root name has to match), that icon will be associated with your POI when you view them on the map and in the POI list.

I go a little further and build 4 different *.ov2 files using GSAK. GSAK allows you to do some filtering (slicing and dicing of the database). I export one TomTom *.ov2 file of caches I haven't found, another *.ov2 file of the caches I have found, another *.ov2 of the caches I've found but are archived, and lastly, one *.ov2 file of my own placed caches. I call these geocaches.ov2, geofound.ov2, geofoundarchived.ov2 and geomine.ov2. The geofound.ov2 and geofoundarchived.ov2 come from a download of my finds (you're only allowed to download that once a week).

I'll attach the 4 little icons for these if you want to play with them, but you can create your own using Microsoft Paint or just about anything else that will generate a *.bmp file.

Attachments

• Geocaches.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 747
  • GeoFoundArchived.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 707
  • GeoMine.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 753
  • GeoFound.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:
As for the viewing of the cache info and log data, whether that flies for you will depend upon your model of TomTom. You need one that includes the l"Music and Media" button that takes you to "Document reader". Tell me what you've got, and if it will work, I'll explain further.

Ask a Question