Finally got my TT One 3rd ed. working with Vista!!!

I bought a Tomtom One ed. 3 working on my PC running Windows Vista. I had problems almost every step of the way. First, I couldn't get the driver to install. That was not a big suprise, as EVERY USB device I have ever tried to use has had the same problem. Finally found out how to manually search for driver since it was trying to install in a slightly different way than usual. Basically, you open the device manager, then connect device to computer, turn on device and it should show up on the device manager. QUICKLY right click on the name of the device in the device manager and choose update driver. Click "browse my computer," the type C:\Windows\System32. Finally, it will find the driver. However, I noticed that it was still trying to install the driver every time I plugged it in so I just chose "don't show this again."

THEN I couldn't get Tomtom Home to install. Finally got it installed in safe mode. THEN Tomtom Home kept saying it needed to download a special file to operate my device but the file was unavailable. Found the solution on this board: with device connected to computer, navigate to the device on "my computer" and move the folder called "ephem" to a different location, such as your documents folder. Disconnect device, turn off. Close TT Home. Turn on device, connect to computer and: voila! It works.

Oh my GOD! What a giant pain in my rear! I don't know how a less persistent person could ever get this thing up and running. Vista is a big part of the problem, but TT Home seems to have problems, too. Just wanted to post here in case it can help anyone having the same problems. :eek:

hmm. I installed home2 on my vista home premium without a single problem. it could not have been easier. What version did you install and where did you get it from?

hmm. I installed home2 on my vista home premium without a single problem. it could not have been easier. What version did you install and where did you get it from?

Same here no problems at all using vista home premium. I hope all is good now.:cool:

I installed TT Home version 2(.02?), the latest version available from TomTom.com. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS :confused: M1330.

While I am very happy to hear everyone did not have the same problems I did, why in the heck is my machine so plagued???

Tabitha
:confused:

I'm not sure if dell is full of "helper" programs but my sony vaio was. I went through and deleted any programs that started with vaio. there was stuff like vaio smart media detector, and vaio network wizard. it's all crap that is supposed to make stuff easier but all it does is take up resources and confuse windows. After I got rid of my sony stuff my vista computer runs much much smoother.

vista... not my favorite

:mad: Thanks for the tip, Hudnut. I will try removing excess baggage.

I did finally figure out that I was unable to install ANY software, not just Tomtom Home. I had to do a reset to a restore point from the "fix my computer" on the boot page (or whatever you call it). Apparently, some update that I automatically installed back in 11/07 was causing a conflict so that no software was able to be installed. I fixed it, but still not sure which update caused the trouble.

Ask a Question