Everything offset by five seconds.

Ok. I've got a problem.

I'm using a TomTom XL.

When I drive, it shows me on the correct roads at the correct locations.

However, when I attempt to navigate to an address, POI, or anything of that nature, everything seems to be offset about +0?0'05"N.

So my house is supposedly one block north.

And my bank is one block north of where it should be. (And across the street.)

Etc.

Yes, it's been updated with the most recent stuff.

Help?

Last edited:
Was your unit updated or were any other changes made just prior to this behavior? That it shows you on the right streets while driving is certainly interesting. The unit knows where it is, but is mislocating all destinations?

What happens if you enable POI on the map and run a 2D map view to get a good look around. Is everything off by a block, or do things appear in their proper places then?

Have you tried a reset of your unit?

Uh, I don't use it often enough to really tell when it changed, but it's doing it for a while. It wasn't ALWAYS though.

If I pull up a map, it seems to be offsetting anything that's on a road that goes north and south. It might be offsetting things that are on a road going east/west but with a road immediately north, but I don't know enough of the landmarks to tell. Anything on an east/west road with little to nothing to the north as a road seems to be positioned correctly.

And I have no idea how to do a reset. I'll Google instructions.

Ok. A completely hard reboot with a green screen flashing and a long boot up time afterwards did nothing to fix it.

Hitting the red button in the preferences did nothing to fix it.

You could try making an Explorer, not Home, backup. Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and install the application that will be offered. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if that helps.

I'm thinking we may be starting to look at this from the wrong angle....

You say that while navigating you are shown in the right place on the map.... so far, so good.

But then you say POIs and your house are shown offset by +0?0'05"N. Can you explain how you are sure? Do you have the exact co-ordinates of your house from a different source and when you enter them the TT is finding the wrong location?

I only ask, because i) POIs are notoriously inaccurate and are often shown some distance from their true location, and ii) there are several methods of marking your Home location, such as entering an address, which can also be inaccurate.

But that is down to errors in the address and house number look-up tables and the POI databases, rather than any inherent issue with the map being offfset.

What I'm trying to say is that you are definitely seeing errors, but they may well be for different reasons!

Can you try searching the on-line Google maps for a specific set of Lat/Long coordinates and then send the TT to the same place (using "Find" then "Lat/Long" on the Browse map screen).

Is there any appreciable difference in the results?

I'm thinking we may be starting to look at this from the wrong angle....

You say that while navigating you are shown in the right place on the map.... so far, so good.

But then you say POIs and your house are shown offset by +0?0'05"N. Can you explain how you are sure? Do you have the exact co-ordinates of your house from a different source and when you enter them the TT is finding the wrong location?

I only ask, because i) POIs are notoriously inaccurate and are often shown some distance from their true location, and ii) there are several methods of marking your Home location, such as entering an address, which can also be inaccurate.

But that is down to errors in the address and house number look-up tables and the POI databases, rather than any inherent issue with the map being offfset.

What I'm trying to say is that you are definitely seeing errors, but they may well be for different reasons!

Can you try searching the on-line Google maps for a specific set of Lat/Long coordinates and then send the TT to the same place (using "Find" then "Lat/Long" on the Browse map screen).

Is there any appreciable difference in the results?

Well if I navigate to a specific latitude and longitude, it works fine, but that's never been an issue. As I said, it shows me in the right position on roads 'n such.

I guess maybe I'm confused as to what you're trying to find out. Yeah, if I open up Google Earth, and find a location, and type in those coordinates into TomTom, it takes me to those coordinates. My original post was about addresses being off.

I "recently" visited several cities up north where I didn't have any issue of any kind like this. Everything was exactly where it said it should be, even rural houses in the boondocks. And TomTom USED to take me to my house when I put in the address.

Now it doesn't.

Lemme try the wipe thing suggested above.

Wiping the files in the root of the device and then reinstalling the application and two or three updates after that did nothing to fix the issue. I think the map's addresses themselves are bad.

I guess maybe I'm confused as to what you're trying to find out. Yeah, if I open up Google Earth, and find a location, and type in those coordinates into TomTom, it takes me to those coordinates. My original post was about addresses being off.

Good... that's what I was trying to ascertain.
It's just we seemed to be veering off on the wrong tangent as if the basic maths of the GPS coordinates had gone wrong.
(..and you did sort of imply that when you mentioned a specific +0?0'05"N offset)

And TomTom USED to take me to my house when I put in the address.

Now it doesn't.

OK, so the next thing is to give us some specific examples, so someone with the same map as you can try the same places and see if they see the same problem.

Obviously don't use your home address as an example, but tell us a couple of sets of coordinates, where an address or POI SHOULD be and where your Tomtom is saying they are (pictures will really help here!).

You also need to tell us your map name and version number (you can get that from the "Show version info" screen).

Ask a Question