Tom Tom XL LIVE IQ ROUTES - everything lost

Hi All. I was wondering if you could help me please?
I have been using my tom tom for sometime now without a problem, a month or so ago i used the charger i have used since new in the same cigarette lighter.
The green LED lit up for approx 10 secs and then went out, there was also a smell of burning.
After trying different chargers the sat nav would not charge nor turn on.
I have replaced the battery and now it turns on and takes a charge good as new.
The trouble is now when i turn it on - there is a screen that shows my sat nav with a flashing red circle containing a white "X" to the right of it, a hard drive at the bottom left and it says "Tom Tom XL LIVE" at the top right. Does anyone know what i can do to cure this please?
Many thanks. Ian

Well, the burning smell is NOT a good sign.

Can you try resetting the unit. I don't know if the unit has a dedicated reset hole on the bottom. If not, hold the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. Try that.

If that doesn't work, use Explorer to make a backup copy of your unit's contents. Don't use Home. Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and you'll be offerered an application. Install and disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Any better?

Sorry but im really struggling, i have managed to get my pc to recognise the Tom Tom XL LIVE as a removable drive under my computer - it comes up as drive E and states that its totally blank.

If i go into control panel and device manager - it then recognises the unit as a drive. However, there is absolutely nothing on the sat nav. If i use tom tom home it states there is no device connected.

Is there a download that i can use? To me it looks like the whole drive is empty thats built into the sat nav

You can connect the unit to Home and get an application that will be installed but unless you have a backup of the map or the map on the unit was an update of that which came on the unit, I'm afraid you'll have to purchase a map again.

If you go to Home with the unit connected and go to Manage My XL (2nd screen with the purple folder), Items on Computer, do you see any maps listed?

Based upon what Device Manager is saying, he's not going to get Home to recognize that unit, either. If it does, he may be able to reload the firmware that way. If not, he'll have to do a manual reload with one or the other of the versions for that model and hope it works. I'm at least encouraged by the fact that it boots up and complains!

But he says the computer does assign a drive E: to the unit so it must recognize the existence, that's why I think -- not KNOW -- that Home will as well.

Cheers guys for the messages, if i go to home it shows nothing at all on my device or pc.

The PC will recognise it as a drive but once i go into tomtom home, the bottom right hand corner shows a unit with a X through it and says device not connected.

All i have done is replace the battery in the unit and everything seems to have gone. There is a card in the slot underneath that looks like a sim acrd but it seems well stuck in there, it was there when i bought the nav.

Has it lost the core files somewhere along the way do you think?

Need someone more familiar with this UK unit than I am. Not sure if the 8.417.xl2009_live_2048_tts.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE file would be the correct one for this unit or not.

To the OP: did your unit have text-to-speech (spoken street names)? I don't believe it did, hence I suspect I should instead be suggesting 8.417.xl2009_live_2048.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE
Any of our UK moderators still up and can respond?

I dont know if this helps at all but this is the screen i get come up when i turn it on.
SATNAVX.jpg

Well - it indicates that your unit is not completely fried, that there is just enough bootloader code remaining to wake up and complain, and all of that is a good sign. What I'm hoping to do now is determine which is the correct firmware for your unit so that we can get you a copy of that to load manually (without using Home) to see if we can get its brains wrapped around the idea of being a GPS again.

We've got two UK moderators who should be able to determine if my 2nd suggestion is correct, or provide an alternative. They're not known for being to bed early <g> so I suspect we'll hear from one of them in due course.

An alternative: Have you ever made a full Windows (or OSX) backup of your unit before? We recommend that to everyone here, and if you've done so, restoration from that backup could get this process started more quickly.

Need someone more familiar with this UK unit than I am. Not sure if the 8.417.xl2009_live_2048_tts.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE file would be the correct one for this unit or not.

To the OP: did your unit have text-to-speech (spoken street names)? I don't believe it did, hence I suspect I should instead be suggesting 8.417.xl2009_live_2048.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE
Any of our UK moderators still up and can respond?

You're correct - it didnt have spoken street names. Is there any way of downloading the navcore file or would i need the home to recognise the device.

Sorry to be a nuisance, thanks again for all your help.

Im afraid not, i bought the unit off a guy at work who had hardly used it but preferred the sat nav on his phone as it saved him carrying around 2 things so he sold it to me to make some money back, i used it for a few months before the battery went, which i didnt expect to go as i knew he had not had it long himself.

I have no backup or anything on my pc. But you have made me wonder about the map backup/login as such mentioned earlier, if i remember rightly he used to update his maps every now and then. Could it be possible for him to log in on his account and maybe recover it all?

As to the previous post, we would not be using Home since it is non-functional. There is a manual method we would use to load your firmware if we can establish which is the correct firmware for your unit. We're not there yet.

I have no backup or anything on my pc. But you have made me wonder about the map backup/login as such mentioned earlier, if i remember rightly he used to update his maps every now and then. Could it be possible for him to log in on his account and maybe recover it all?
Be sure he hangs onto those maps - even if we can get the firmware reloaded manually, you will then probably need one of those map update files on his PC to get your unit functioning again as more than a smart paperweight.

Any chance HE ever backed up the entire unit?

I havent heard him mention anything of a full backup but he did say about updating the maps before he sold it. Ive just sent him a text message to see if he still has anything on his pc or whether i could log into his tomtom account.

Is there anything i can look for to see what firmware
I can get it to semi reset by holding the power button for nearly a minute

It returns the following

resetinfo.jpg

Bad news im afraid on the backup - he gutted his computer, re-installed windows and gave it to his granddaughter when he upgraded.

Find the location of the compressed application file. Use WinRar and extract the contents to the drive designated by the computer as representing the tom tom unit.

If things go ok, you should see some folders created with files in them AND a bunch of loose files not in any folder.

You can now connect to Home 2, the computer application that provides the communication between the unit and tom tom's servers. Get it here: tomtom.com/home.

Once you have installed Home, connect the unit to it. You need to provide an email address to register your unit. Doesn't even need to be a real address, just in the proper form of aaa@ bbb.com.

Then while the unit is connected to Home, for laughs, select 'Update my Unit'. If a miracle happens, it might offer a map to download (but I wouldn't hold my breath .....). More likely, you'll need to go to Add Maps and go through the process of purchasing a map for your unit.

Report back.

Ask a Question